Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

5/7 Today is...

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:27 AM
  • 9 Replies

NATIONAL TEACHER APPRECIATION DAY

National Teacher Appreciation Day, also known as National Teacher Day, is celebrated on May 7, 2013.  This day is part of Teacher Appreciation Week which is the first full week in May of each year.

The National Education Association describes National Teacher Day  “as day for honoring teachers and recognizing the lasting contributions they make to our lives”.  

Teachers play a critical  role in educating and shaping our children: the future leaders of our country.  They are kind, patient, hard working, dedicated and understanding professionals that mold our children’s lives in a positive direction.  We entrust our children with the teachers and they affect their lives on a daily basis.

It is time to say “Thank You” to the special teachers that you know.  Let them know that they are appreciated for all that they do.

TEACHERS, WE APPRECIATE YOU!

NATIONAL TEACHER APPRECIATION DAY HISTORY

**  In 1944 political and education leaders discussed the need for a national day to honor teachers.
**  In 1953, Eleanor Roosevelt persuaded the 81st Congress to proclaim a National Teacher Day.
**  Congress declared March 7, 1980 as National Teacher Day.
The National Education Association continued to observe Teacher Day on the first Tuesday in March until 1985, when the National PTA established Teacher Appreciation Week as the first full week of May.  The NEA Representative Assembly then voted to make the Tuesday of that week National Teacher Day.  National Teacher Day is an “unofficial” National holiday.

Who was your favorite teacher? Who was/is your teens favorite? (feel free to use initials for privacy reasons)

by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM
My 3rd grade teacher Mrs Willsey. She has been dead for years.
Oldest dd her 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Estis when we lived in Ohio.
Youngest dd she had 2 times, 3rd and 5th grade at a private school. She is Mrs Sharpe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM

My favorite teacher was a social studies teacher in high school.

My son loved his elementary teachers, especially his 4th, 5th and 6th grade teachers. He actually had the same teacher for 3rd and 6th grade, and he talks very highly of her.

PurpleHazey
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Yes indeed

wakymom
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I had a lot of favorites, but at the top of that list would be my high school drama teacher.

drfink
by Emily on May. 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM

An english teacher I had several times in high school.I went to a small private school and we might change teachers depending on the unit every 12 weeks.I had started dating a guy,,,a bad boy ...and started smoking dope on my way to school.I had this teacher in first.After a couple of weeks he called me to his office.He told me he knew I was coming to school high ,my grades and participation had crashed ,he had just finished college 4 yrs earlier so he knew.He told me he wasn't going to tell the school yet but if I didn't clean up and he would be checking in on all my classes he was calling my mom.He also talked about my college plans and more that I was letting slip away.He got my attention ,it also meant a lot that he talked to me and gave me a chance first before contacting school and my mom.I stopped immediately.

For my children they all had the same teams all through elementary school.They all were wonderful.We were lucky.In middle school they all had the same math ,state history and english teachers.Once again fantastic.In high school my older two had the same APBio and APU.S.History teacher as will my younger two .These teachers are involved ,teach hard but very well .We and I do include me have been blessed to have had such great teachers in our lives.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

My art teacher in high school. My kids don't have favorite teachers because I asked.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I had 2 favorites in highschool~ my art teacher Mrs. P and my 11th grade history teacher Ms. N.

My dd's two faves were both English teachers~ Mr. B and Mrs. H.

HockeyDanceMom
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I don't think I ever had a favorite teacher. My 13 yr old's favorite teacher is his gym teacher. My 16 yr old step son also likes his gym teacher too.

Wife to Jason (07/10/98), Step Mom to Lucas Robert (07/12/96). Mommy to Michael James (03/21/00), Madalyn Rose (02/27/03), Emily Grace (01/07/05), Daniel Joseph (01/04/06) & Christopher Thomas (03/21/11).

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM

My high school Journalism teacher, Mrs. Wanda Wilson.   She was also my Freshman English teacher.  She was not the most popular teacher in school.... she was tough.   I loved her and learned so much!

My oldest son's favorite was his 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. F.    She was also my younger son's 1st grade teacher, and one of my favorite teachers of all time.     She retired when my oldest was in college.... we all went to say goodbye, both sons and I.   She was very touched, she 'puddled up'... her term for tearing up.  lol

My younger son's favorite was his 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. S.    Another of my faves!   I absolutely credit her for my son's success through out school.   She often intervened on his behalf throughout elementary school like his own guardian angel.   She understood his Aspergers and helped me to get him through school without an IEP.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)