Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Should this team have been disqualified?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 14 Replies

I was reading this article this morning about a Texas track and field team disqualifed because an athlete pointed his finger towards the heavens. 

Do you think high school athletes should be disqualified from competition for making this religious gesture that is actually common in sports?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VickyJoJo
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM
3 moms liked this

This is ridiculous.  Excessive celebrating is just raising the hands according to the video news story in the article.  It is very common in sports - we have seen athletes do it before and unless  this teenager was over zealous in his gesture, disqualifying the team on these grounds goes overboard in political correctness.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I think it's common place in sports, and I think it's ridiculous that the team was disqualified.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Quoting Barabell:

I think it's common place in sports, and I think it's ridiculous that the team was disqualified.

Agree!   

Many student athletes have private, personal signals they send out to parents, too.   My sons put their hand over their hearts and patted twice to let me know they were okay whenever they were hurt on the court/field.   It kept me from running to their aid, lol.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM
What are the rules? Guess it depends???. I think the rules need to be changed if they don't allow this?
Wonder if it was excessive and more than the story is saying also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I agree.

Quoting Barabell:

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

To be honest with you I don't care if he prayed in front of everyone, he should not be disqualified and neither should his team.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Just crazy stupid!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 7, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

This is just ridiculous.

ruth85
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:52 PM

well from what I understand, the teams were told clearly ahead of time that there were to be no gestures or demonstrations/celebrations on the field...that had to be done off field.

So, to my thinking, if there was a rule in place...they were aware of the rule...and he broke the rule. then the punishment is not out of line.  If you choose to break a rule...or later in life..a law, you have to be willing to accept the consequences.  The type of gesture or whether or not it had to do with religion should not really come into play...just whether or not there was a rule and it was known/communicated ahead of time and whether or not it was broken.  Period.

vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM

No, we have freedom of religion in this country so whether an athlete points to the heavens or falls down on their knees to give praise to God should not be grounds for disqualification.  I do, however, believe that religious teaching does not belong in the puplic schools.  This is up to the parents and churches to teach.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)