Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

College Bound!

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 7 Replies

HI Ladies! 

Im new here and want to say hi! I just finished a book (over- anticipating my son heading to colllege) and it was really helpful. He makes OK grades and is a pretty good athlete, as much as I love him I know schools like harvard and yale are not in his immediate future. He wouldn't flourish at those schools. If you are in the same boat as me, please let me know! I feel like I only know a small number of schools... there must be more out there! suggestions! thank you!

by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM
There are so many colleges. First look at a budget. Also look at SAT or ACT scores and his gpa. Buy a book that shows colleges in every state. It will tell average scores, gpa's, percentage of applicants they accept etc.
What grade is your son in??
My youngest just finished her first year of college at U of Dayton.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Does he have plans to play sports in college? What does he want to study. My DD is only a freshman in high school but we started looking at colleges this year. She knows she wants to study science, forensics and wants to play lacrosse and/or field hockey. She would love a D1 school but we also know that she needs to look at in state schools also. So even though Syracuse and Texas A&M might be at the top of her list she also needs to apply to Bridgewater State and Umass. We found schools by googling them. We will be going to visit them this summer. Well not Texas A&M thats to far away, Maybe next summer.

sabrtooth1
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

State schools are a good place for a kid like that.  Even starting at community college would be a good idea.  HE needs to be invested in the idea of college.  HE needs to talk to his H.S. counselor and get guidance on what classes he should be taking, where his grades need improvment, and what is the best, most affordable option for him.  YOU need to make it clear to him that you will not be funding a vacation from mom & dad.  He needs skin in the game.  HE must pay for school too, and he MUST make good grades or your contribution will end.  

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM

The world is full of colleges!    My older son graduated from University of Oregon, and my youngest is currently a Freshman, there.    My sons never seriously looked at out of State schools, there are so many to choose from in state.    The deciding factors were field of study and budget.

Msgme
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM

like the previous posters have mentioned there are soooo many schools out there.  My teens are just freshman but my dd has been talking about college for years.  She has a bunch of lists of her top schools  she even has a list of her top 50.  You have to look at what he is interested in then look for schools that are good for that then look at budgets.  We recently just went to a college fair at my dd's highschool  and while there we found some decent schools for my son to look at.  But like i said they are just freshman so they have some time.  He has to be included in the process.

pdxmum
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Go Ducks.

I have a Husky.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

The world is full of colleges!    My older son graduated from University of Oregon, and my youngest is currently a Freshman, there.    My sons never seriously looked at out of State schools, there are so many to choose from in state.    The deciding factors were field of study and budget.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM

We're looking at local state colleges or state colleges that have reciprocity with our state (which is about 4 or 5 bordering states plus a few in Canada).

Staying local, you get to pay a discounted residency tuition rate. We have dozens and dozens of colleges to choose from within that rate, and many are very good and well respected in a huge variety of professions.

Another thing is if your son knows what he wants to major in, and you can do research on the top colleges in that field. The lists aren't always just of Ive League schools. You might be surprised.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)