Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

As if high school isn't hard enough, now there are 'hotness tournaments'!

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 13 Replies

Every morning I read news from various sites and this morning I was really taken back by this one.

As if high school isn't hard enough, now kids have to deal with this. In Issaquah, Washington for the last five years, there has been an online tournament called "May Madness". Basically the boys in the school pit the girls against eachother in an online tournment and vote for who is the 'hottest'. 

According to the report, as long as it doesn't transcend into something criminal or cyber bullying, there isn't much they can do to shut it down.

I think it is so demeaning.
Would you be upset if you found out there was something like this at your teens school?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I'm not a fan of it, but if the girls sign up then they know what they are getting into.

Our school has Mr. Mustang, it's a contest that the senior boys participate in. It's a cross between a popularity contest and a beauty contest. It's actually very funny, cause these boys really let their goofy side, and sometimes talented side show. My very quite son did it his senior year, which suprised everyone who knows him and got runner up. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM

This.  IF girls sign up, they sign up.  No one is putting a gun to their head. 

Quoting luckysevenwow:

I'm not a fan of it, but if the girls sign up then they know what they are getting into.

Our school has Mr. Mustang, it's a contest that the senior boys participate in. It's a cross between a popularity contest and a beauty contest. It's actually very funny, cause these boys really let their goofy side, and sometimes talented side show. My very quite son did it his senior year, which suprised everyone who knows him and got runner up. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Reina13
by Reina on May. 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I'm not sure this is something that the girls are necessarily signing up for. Or at least the article doesn't elaborate about that. It is done through a website. In the video I seen the principal said that they don't do this on school grounds even though it is students who run the site and the girls are girls at that particular high school.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM

If the girls aren't signing up for it, then that would change things, but the school is right that there isn't anything they can do, so long as it just stays at votes and not step over the lines, there isn't anything anyone can really do.

Quoting Reina13:

I'm not sure this is something that the girls are necessarily signing up for. Or at least the article doesn't elaborate about that. It is done through a website. In the video I seen the principal said that they don't do this on school grounds even though it is students who run the site and the girls are girls at that particular high school.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Honestly, how much difference is this from prom queen?

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I agree, there isn't much the school can do about it. We have to teach our daughters to rise above all this nonsense anyway

Quoting luckysevenwow:

If the girls aren't signing up for it, then that would change things, but the school is right that there isn't anything they can do, so long as it just stays at votes and not step over the lines, there isn't anything anyone can really do.

Quoting Reina13:

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Good point

Quoting fantasticfour:

Honestly, how much difference is this from prom queen?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on May. 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Hi ladies. I just noticed that the Stir wrote an article about this a couple of hours ago too. Here is the link.

High School's 'Hotness Tournament' Is Just as Disgusting as It Sounds

02nana07
by Ida on May. 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

It doesn't say if the boys choose random girls or if the girls sign up.

If they sign up they know what they are getting into but if they are put on there without their permission it is wrong on so many levels

mandaboo99
by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Do the girls have a choice weather or not they are "signed up"?? If not , than no I dont agree at all, If the girls DO sign themselves up, then whats the difference between this and "homecoming queen" or any other beauthy/popularity contest that our children are subjected to. Personally I think might be upset either way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)