Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

She's the only negative in my life.

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM
  • 31 Replies

Hopefully I don't get scolded too much for that title or what I'm about to say but at least I'm being honest.  I'm a happy go lucky very affectionate person.  Love mornings. Love my husband.  Like my job, my home, love my friends and family.  I see the positive in a negative more often than not and so thankful for everything I have (even though its not much).

My 15 year old daughter - for nearly the past two years... moody almost always.  Disorganized, keeps a Filthy room, horrible grades, I don't care attitude, rude, nasty, temper and OMG is she lazy.  Its all about her and what you can do for her - the more money you have the more she likes you.  She's only mean and nasty with me and her biological father (with whom she sees bi-weekly).  No one else see's that bad side of her personality - i know it sounds odd but its the truth.  No problems with drugs, boys, smoking... just a really nasty self absorbed shower me with money attitude.

It hit me this morning.  Maybe God put her in my life to keep me strong.  She's the only negativity in my life and I think that's because God is trying to make me a stronger woman and to help me appreciate all the other wonderful things in my life just a bit more.  I know some of you are thinking I'm a horrible mother for thinking this way, and that's fine... but I can't be alone. 

If anyone has any helpful tips, not necessarily to turn her personality around (although I'm all ears) but more for me to stay true to myself and my personality without letting her dim my light I'd really appreciate it.

by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Why doesn't she have consequences??? 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

irishlass569
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

She does.  Phone taken away, grounding for days, etc.  She'll behave for a bit then right back to it.  Its a rollercoaster.  I keep fighting the good fight - just trying to say "me" in the process.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM
3 moms liked this

Well she sounds like a normal teen, at least a certian percent of them anyways.

It's okay for us parents to not always like our kids, especially in those teen years. 

No advice my one DD was hell on two leg's and she has turned into an amazing woman, but I wasn't always her biggest fan. 

ForeverLawst
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm sorry.. "God" didn't parent this child. YOU did! YOU allow her to be this way and YOU can put an end to it. Step up and parent this child before she becomes a self-absorbed adult with a nasty sense of entitlement. There should be boundaries and consequences for everything she does, every day. You need to be consistant and firm with your rules. 

irishlass569
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

WOW, was looking for a little advice not an attack Forever.  Thank you.

irishlass569
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Thanks Lucky 7.

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Teens can be crazy sometimes. I try just to walk away take a few breaths and maybe a nice bath when my teen has me on the edge. Good luck :)

irishlass569
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Thanks Chatty
ForeverLawst
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting irishlass569:

WOW, was looking for a little advice not an attack Forever.  Thank you.

Momma.. that was not even close to an attack. You are the Mom and you need to stand up and change your child's attitude. You are the one in control here. Go into her room and look around at all the material things she has right now and ask yourself if your DD really cares about any of it. All of her stuff is piled all over the place, dirty dishes, clothes, etc?? Go get yourself a couple really large bags and start throwing away everything on the floor, anything she doesn't take care of. Start making the child do daily chores. Stop spending money on anything that's not food and basic living needs. Don't allow your child to be nasty to you. If her attitude is bad then tell her once that you will not talk to her with that attitude, then ignore her until the problem is fixed. Do not engage her if she's being nasty, just walk away. There are lots of ways to fix an attitude problem. Perhaps reading a few parenting books would help to change you so that you can change her. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM
4 moms liked this

From my opinion and standpoint there are way to many entitled children/teenagers even when the parents do everything they can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)