Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM
  • 26 Replies

My oldest has a FB account and an email address, both are directly connected to my email and my phone so I get all notifications.  Someone made a comment to me the other day that it is "unfair" and that I'm "spying on him". Its not like i use his fb, I just get his notifications so i can monitor that everything is ok, he is aware that I do this and has never complained. Just wondering if anyone else does this and how old is too old to be monitoring his fb and email. or is there a too old??

by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irishlass569
by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM
4 moms liked this

Mine is 15 and she just got a FB account for her birthday in March.  Your not spying... he's under 18 so its your right and responsibility as a parent.  Until he's about 17, heck even 18 keep an eye on the account.  Your doing the right thing honey.  Congrats to you for being a good mommy.

mandaboo99
by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Thanks for that :)

Quoting irishlass569:

Mine is 15 and she just got a FB account for her birthday in March.  Your not spying... he's under 18 so its your right and responsibility as a parent.  Until he's about 17, heck even 18 keep an eye on the account.  Your doing the right thing honey.  Congrats to you for being a good mommy.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM
How old is your son? I didn't have passwords in hs. Anytime I wanted to check, I did. Nothing was bad. Sounds like you have not seen anything bad. I would not wanna wade through my girls posts. Mine are adults and I am only friends with one dd. Other one has too much junk on her facebook. I don't like mine cluttered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandaboo99
by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM

He is 14

Quoting atlmom2:

How old is your son? I didn't have passwords in hs. Anytime I wanted to check, I did. Nothing was bad. Sounds like you have not seen anything bad. I would not wanna wade through my girls posts. Mine are adults and I am only friends with one dd. Other one has too much junk on her facebook. I don't like mine cluttered.

mom2bell
by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM
I have a 14 and 16 year old daughters. I check their face books occasionally which they are aware of but I do not have anything linked to me. I trust them enough and their judgement to do/say/accept and allow what is right.
mandaboo99
by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I trust my son. like I said, I dont use his fb or interact with it, i just monitor it.  My mother Trusted me as well and I cringe at some of the things I did as a teen. I'm sure we all do lol

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM

It's not something I would do. I don't need nor want to see everything they are doing. 

I often wondered how our parents survived without monitoring software. All I needed was a piece of paper with a note in it. While technology has cahnged things to some degree has it really changed that much? About the only difference is how what is done is done and where what is said is said.

I have always trusted my kids until I didn't have a reason to trust them. That doesn't mean that I never checked, but only when I had a reason to.

mandaboo99
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Growing up we didnt have the kind of technology that our children have. When I left the house, my mother knew where I went and what I was doing. Nowadays there is a LOT going on with our children online. Cyberbullying being a huge issue now. Its not a matter of trusting my son. To me, Its a matter of safety.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

It's not something I would do. I don't need nor want to see everything they are doing. 

I often wondered how our parents survived without monitoring software. All I needed was a piece of paper with a note in it. While technology has cahnged things to some degree has it really changed that much? About the only difference is how what is done is done and where what is said is said.

I have always trusted my kids until I didn't have a reason to trust them. That doesn't mean that I never checked, but only when I had a reason to.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Your mother new where you said you were going. She didn't have GPS to know that you actually went there. I'm sorry but I have kids in each generation. My oldest are 21, 20, 20 and 19. We didn't even have a computer until they were in their mid-teens. My younger ones are 11, 9, 6 and 3.

Times have not changed as much as many parents want to say it has. The how that they do something is all that's changed, and the amount of eavesdropping we can do as parents has changed. Children and their actions are not all that different. Not even from when I was a kid.

Quoting mandaboo99:

Growing up we didnt have the kind of technology that our children have. When I left the house, my mother knew where I went and what I was doing. Nowadays there is a LOT going on with our children online. Cyberbullying being a huge issue now. Its not a matter of trusting my son. To me, Its a matter of safety.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

mandaboo99
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Im not arguing, I'm simply asking the general population of this group where should the line be drawn. And yes my mother knew where I said I was going, and what i said i would be doing and she trusted me and I had a baby at 16. So no matter how much we trust our children, they are going to do what they are going to do. So now that kids have better ways of hiding what theyre up to, isnt it our responsibility as parents not to be "big brother" but to make sure that they are ok by checking from time to time, beyond asking them.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Your mother new where you said you were going. She didn't have GPS to know that you actually went there. I'm sorry but I have kids in each generation. My oldest are 21, 20, 20 and 19. We didn't even have a computer until they were in their mid-teens. My younger ones are 11, 9, 6 and 3.

Times have not changed as much as many parents want to say it has. The how that they do something is all that's changed, and the amount of eavesdropping we can do as parents has changed. Children and their actions are not all that different. Not even from when I was a kid.

Quoting mandaboo99:

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN