Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

you shaved what?????

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:48 PM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

Yup, that's right! My 13 yr old daughter shaved her, umm..well you know! (not really sure what we are supposed to call "it" these days, that's how out of the teenage loop I am)! Anyhow, she says her friend does it and so she wanted to try it.

First of all, if you can imagine me trying to not laugh or cry at this situation at hand, I don't want to make her feel awkward or embarrass her, But I do find it inappropriate for young girls to do this!

Am I wrong? Are young girls shaving more than just bikini lines these days?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jthompson1976
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

oh boy the things i have to look forward to. my daugther is 10 ..i have tryed talk her in to shaving legs she not even ready... i rember my mom threw a fit when i shaved above the knee lol 

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Idk, it's just hair? Why does it bother you so much? It's actually fairly common now a days for teen girls to do this. Did you ask her why? If it makes her feel more comfortable why not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sissy502
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I felt the same way when my daughter told me she'd begun shaving her kootch. (she was a tween at the time)

She said all the girls do. She was also disgusted when I told her I don't. (years later of course)  It seems to some girls these days NOT shaving down there is akin to not shaving your armpits. 

daisykat
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Buy her a cute little razor of her own, maybe some shave cream or some Nair. It's ok, mama. She's becoming a woman and even though when you and I were kids we may never have thought of doing that, nowadays they do.
notsupermomyet
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

It's not so much that I care, I shave as well.  It was more of the shock when she told me she did it...maybe if she told me ahead of time I could have been more helpful, like getting her an electric razor to trim it up first....poor thing had razor burn for a few days...she said she was just curious...

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Idk, it's just hair? Why does it bother you so much? It's actually fairly common now a days for teen girls to do this. Did you ask her why? If it makes her feel more comfortable why not?

notsupermomyet
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:27 PM

lol..she was shocked when she asked and I told her I do shave...

Quoting sissy502:

I felt the same way when my daughter told me she'd begun shaving her kootch. (she was a tween at the time)

She said all the girls do. She was also disgusted when I told her I don't. (years later of course)  It seems to some girls these days NOT shaving down there is akin to not shaving your armpits. 

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
It's good she told you some kids might not. Now you can at least give her some tips. There are some good products out there, gentle and specifically for the area. Betty Bare is one :)

Quoting notsupermomyet:

It's not so much that I care, I shave as well.  It was more of the shock when she told me she did it...maybe if she told me ahead of time I could have been more helpful, like getting her an electric razor to trim it up first....poor thing had razor burn for a few days...she said she was just curious...

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I'm of the opinion that shaving isn't a privliege. I'm also of the opinion that once you say yes to shaving, you can't really control WHAT they shave. Yes I do think it's innappropriate for a 13yo to shave her pubic hair, because I feel that the main reason you would shave it is for sex. Like a drastic, noticeable through underwear shave, would only be for sex. But you can't really control what she shaves or how. I'd tell her about keeping it safe, careful, and reccommending creams,but then leave it up to her.

CampClan
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Oh good gravy! Is this what I have to look forward to now?! My DDs started shaving their legs & pits last year but I doubt the older one (the only one to have pubs between the 2) has thought of shaving THERE! She didn't even want to get her period & was pissed when I told her there was no choice for us women!
wanderingmuse
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:14 AM
4 moms liked this
I shave down there because it's itchy and uncomfortable if I don't. And i feel like it smells more if there is hair. Idk, maybe im weird but There are more reasons to shave than sex.

Quoting GleekingOut:

I'm of the opinion that shaving isn't a privliege. I'm also of the opinion that once you say yes to shaving, you can't really control WHAT they shave. Yes I do think it's innappropriate for a 13yo to shave her pubic hair, because I feel that the main reason you would shave it is for sex. Like a drastic, noticeable through underwear shave, would only be for sex. But you can't really control what she shaves or how. I'd tell her about keeping it safe, careful, and reccommending creams,but then leave it up to her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)