Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I owe them WHAT?!

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 32 Replies
My oldest called from school, tells me I owe the school 55$ because it was bike riding day in gym, He was riding his bike and the chain fell off, so he fell off his bike into a bench and the back wheel bent, he hurt his leg but is fine.
I asked him if he was absolutely sure that the chain let go before he fell and he said yes. So I told him to politely inform his teacher that the chain fell off the bike CAUSING him to fall off of it and I will not be paying them 55$ to replace/fix a bicycle that could have harmed him or another child, and she can call my cell directly if she would like to speak to me.  I really dont think it is fair that the teacher said to my son that we owed them anything and didnt call me directly in the first place. any thoughts??
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM
No way. DD rode her own bike in Gym, and some kids bikes the school owned at issues. No child had to pay. They quit biking a day early because of bike issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandaboo99
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM

At first I thought he may have misunderstood and maybe she was kidding around. I asked him if he was sure she was serious about the 55$ because it seems kind of an odd number and he said she was not kidding.

Quoting atlmom2:

No way. DD rode her own bike in Gym, and some kids bikes the school owned at issues. No child had to pay. They quit biking a day early because of bike issues.

EyEmTuRtLe
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

If it's your DS's bike then no way should you pay the fee. If the bike is owned by the school I'd still say no way. Matter of fact if there's a doctor's visit required because their equipment malfunctioned I'd send them the bill.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
A chain falling off is pretty easy to fix for nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on May. 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I agree that is odd.How would a teacher know off hand the cost to repair a bike anyway?The only thing we are automatically responsible for is out right vandalism type damage and lost or destroyed books.  On the check out book day before school starts the kids sign a form to get their books and then parents must sign and return by the first Friday once school starts.

mandaboo99
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Yeah, I signed no forms agreeing to pay for damages. It is the schools bike and he said he landed on the back wheel and it bent.

OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:35 PM

That's weird.  It wasn't intentional so I don't see why they would ask you to pay for it.

sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:24 PM

i have never heard of bike day.  it is in pe?  

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I completely agree with you.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Me either lol

Sounds like fun though.

Quoting sahlady:

i have never heard of bike day.  it is in pe?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)