Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I thought I knew her.. Is this unusual for a girl to act like this?

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM
  • 14 Replies
My daughter acts so different around different people, something which I hadn't picked up on much until recently when I started noticing. Lke I came to pick her up from school earlt and she was soo much more outspoken with her friends than she is around family. And with her boyfriend she is entirely different too, kind of sarcastic and witty but with a kind of bored act too. ANd around our house, she is really introverted and thoughtful looking alot. It's just so wierd seeing her act like someone i dont even know. do your kids do that, act certian ways around people to impress them or something? I don't really catch her in lies much but her whole demeanor changes so much i wonder when she is being herself. Or am I just overthinking all this?
by on May. 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluelola
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I don't think it's that unusual for kids to act differently around their friends than they do with family.  With friends, they are trying to "fit in" and they have things in common.  Teenagers are a little like chameleons, but if it's completely different personas for different groups, I guess I would wonder a little.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Mine act the same around everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM
2 moms liked this
People always comment at how mature my DD21 seems. It's crazy because at home she acts like a temper tantrum throwing child. I think all people act differently depending on who they're with; how comfortable they feel, etc.
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM

It's common for teens to mimic others in their attitudes and personalities.  It's like they are trying some on for size to see which ones she likes

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Yep, perfectly normal.

Momofmenagerie
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM
3 moms liked this
We all play "roles" for a different audience, even as adults. Her most genuine role is the one around her family because it's her "safe place"
We as adults do it. We wear different hats until we enter our own homes with our own family.

I bet she is okay. What you see as introverted is actually her " relaxed" state. After "performing" for teachers, friends , bf, or coaches..... Home is a place to be calm and recharge.

At least that's what I did and still do, it's what my son does..,, I think she sounds pretty normal.
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

We all play "roles" for a different audience, even as adults. Her most genuine role is the one around her family because it's her "safe place"
We as adults do it. We wear different hats until we enter our own homes with our own family.

I bet she is okay. What you see as introverted is actually her " relaxed" state. After "performing" for teachers, friends , bf, or coaches..... Home is a place to be calm and recharge.

At least that's what I did and still do, it's what my son does..,, I think she sounds pretty normal.

I agree.   

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Perfectly normal.   I find it amusing, yet intriguing to see my sons in different social environments, personally.    I don't think it is done to necessarily 'impress' others.  More like just different facets of their personalities showing.   I have gone to my son's workplace and he is so professional and mature, I find it a bit unnerving. lol.         I find it so interesting!     I love hearing how others perceive my sons, too. 

daisykat
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM
It's normal, unless she's having periods of time where she has no memory of what's transpired. That could be multiple personality disorder. HOWEVER- your daughter sounds like my son. Complete clown around his friends, bashful around extended family, smartass around me, cassanova around the girl he likes. I think she's probably ok, mama.
ADLogan
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I don't believe it is unusual.  My fifteen year old acts differntly around her friends too.  They are trying to please parents and to fit in with their peers along with figuring out the balance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)