Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

If your teen is on birth control what kind?

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 10 Replies

My 16 year old has been on the patch for almost 6 months now and just recently she's gotten a terrible rash from it.  She's switched locations and still has the blotches.  Any recommendations for other bc that is safe and effective?  I'm on mirena now but our gyn doesn't want to give that to her until she's 17.  We have an appt in 2 weeks . Anybody have any recommendations? 

Claire Mom of two teens and one tween.in love

by on May. 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leighp1
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM

My dd is on the shot (and to save my life I can never remember the name of it and dd is sleeping).  It's only been two months, but she seems to be doing well.  No side effects as of yet.  Oh wait, the side effect is that her periods seem to be spoting, nothing else.  Normally she has signs ahead of time, migraines, asthma attack and cramping.  She had nothing this month.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Sorry can't help, mine isn't on BC
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Mine only went on the pill around 19.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd,19, has been on the Depo shot (and condoms) for almost 3 years now. She's been with the same guy since she was 16. She hasn't had any side effects other than having no periods. She also has to take a calcium supplement since it can add to osteoporosis.

At the time she chose to start the shot, she was told it was a safe effective form of BC however at her last check up she was told by the PA, that she may want to choose another form of BC to go on b/c the longer you are on the shot the higher the chances are of becoming sterile (temporarily or permanently). She's not planning on having children anytime soon but does want to eventually. She is thinking about changing to the pill but wants to discuss all the options again at her next appt. in June.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM

The pill for 2 of them, and my older one (23) has an IUD.  The older one was on the pill before but changed a year or so ago.  No problems.

PurpleHazey
by on May. 12, 2013 at 8:33 PM

nope

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM

My 14 year old was just put on Lo Seasonique due to ovarian cysts and tring to ward off endometriosis.  With hers, she is supposed to only have a period every 3 months.  She just started, so no side effects yet

EarlGrayHot
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM

It may be an alergy to the adhesive.  How about the kind that goes under your skin?  Or she may have to switch to a pill.

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 3:23 PM

One thing with adhesives, is that the area HAS to be completely dry when it's put on, clean and dry.  I wear an estrogen patch, and if my skin is wet at all I get a yeast-type rash!

ruth85
by on May. 13, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Just a reminder:

The only birth control that protects against pregnancy AND  sexually transmitted disease is the condom.

They say that the rates of STDs is skyrocketing among teens these days.  Herpes is forever..there are strains of gonorrhea that are now antibiotic resistant enough to pose serious health risks. HPV is epidemic. Condoms also do not pose any health risks like blood clots or stroke with the pill and do not mess with your body chemistry. Our daughters need to be confident and willing to insist on condom use to be as protected as possible...even if they are on the pill.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)