Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

13 yo birthday party ideas

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM
  • 26 Replies
My daughter turns 13 next week. For the first time in her life, she says she doesn't want a party with her friends. I am a bit surprised by this. She's had a sleepover party since age 8 or so. She says that her friends haven't really marked their 13th bdays so she doesn't either, and because 2 of her friends have been fighting lately, she doesn't want to include them in anything. I think I'm feeling a bit sad that it's an end of an era.

Any ideas?
by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Why be negative and look at it as an end, but as a new beginning.

Maybe she can take one friend and do something really special.
woodswalker
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:33 AM

My daughters kind of going through the same thing.   She turns 13 next week and this friend hates that friend and this one doesnt like that one....So she is just inviting 2 to sleep over.  And another friend we are inviting to the family party we have. 

Maybe your daugter can just invite one of the girls out to dinner or a movie or show. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 13, 2013 at 7:28 AM
We didn't allow parties after age 10 except for 13 and 16. Otherwise it was a dinner out and that was it. They brought 1 friend to dinner.
Bday parties are so out of hand. People inviting 100 people to a first bday party etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM

What about instead of a party, do an activity.  Have her invite a friend along to dinner, movie, putt-putt, painting pottery, etc.  Something that your daughter would enjoy doing.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Do a mom & DD day with her. Sart a new tradition ! you could go to a museum, Aquarium, out to lunch, tea at a fancy restaurant or spa,. Take a 1 day class in chocolate making or some other fun one.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM
I rarely do big parties. DD usually has 1-2 friends over for something special. She had her first ever group party that is year when she turned 10 and it was 7 girls at the gymnastics center where she trains.
MidwestMama55
by on May. 13, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Birthday parties do sort of die out around that age, or at least change into something else like taking a couple close friends out to a movie and then maybe dinner at a favorite restaurant. Hugs to you as you go through this transition with your daughter! :)

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM

If she doesn't want a party, how about take the family somewhere nice to have supper?

MrsBLB
by Missi on May. 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I agree with this.  :)

Quoting woodswalker:

My daughters kind of going through the same thing.   She turns 13 next week and this friend hates that friend and this one doesnt like that one....So she is just inviting 2 to sleep over.  And another friend we are inviting to the family party we have. 

Maybe your daugter can just invite one of the girls out to dinner or a movie or show. 

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with looking at this as an opportunity to start a new tradition--either with one friend or doing some kind of mother-daughter activity.

I go to tea with my mom a few times a year. It's memorable and fun.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)