Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you stop your teenager taking a prescribed drug, proven to cause injury/death?

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 2:18 AM
  • 138 Replies

Hi mums, I am curious to know what you would do in this situation...

My 18 year old step-daughter was prescribed Roaccutane (for severe acne) when she was 15 and then Jasmin when she was 17 (the pill also used for patients with acne).  Both drugs are known to have severe possible side-effects including death.  In fact, in Amercia alone there are 1,900 class-action lawsuits settled against the drug company Bayer for the drug Jasmine.  Roaccutane is just as bad with Roche having paid out $53 million already in class actions.

When my husband researched these drugs he told his ex-wife that he didnt want his daughter taking the drug. His ex-wife, as she usually does... ignored him and went ahead.  She was more concerned that acne might give her daughter low self-esteem.

So my husband tried to appeal to the commonsense of his 18 year old daughter last week and showed her a news item on tv and website information on the drug.  No luck.  In fact, she got angry and yelled at him (because he cared whether she lives or dies? what a horrible father).  She said... "You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet or hear on the news!  Your not a doctor!  THANK GOD FOR MUM !! "

So I am assuming that my step-daughter should not rely on the internet when researching her school assignments either because the information isnt reliable?  The patients who are suing the pharmacuetical companies were prescribed this medication by a doctor.  How does being a doctor mean you will never be improperly prescribed medicine?!  It is so illogical but teenagers are.

I know there is no solution here - my husband is well-accustomed to the fact that he never gets a say in his daughters health & well-being, schooling or discipline etc.  However, the  question I am asking is... would you risk putting  your daughter/son on a prescribed drug that had possible severe long term side effects?

by on May. 13, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 2:23 AM
3 moms liked this

regardless of what you and dad think (I don't know these drugs so I can't comment) she's 18. The only way you two can refuse her to take the medication is if you are the ones paying for the medication and you refuse to pay for the prescription. Otherwise at 18 she has the right to put anything in her body that is not illegal.

Manth
by on May. 13, 2013 at 4:27 AM
3 moms liked this

My daughter is on prescription steroids that have horrible side effects - but the risk of her NOT taking them is much worse due to her severe asthma.  Sometimes you have to take the path and live with the consequences.

Your step-daughter is 18.  That means she's an adult and can make her own choices, much as you don't like it.  Your husband has given his daughter the tools and information that has scared him - but if she chooses to still put this stuff in her body, knowing the risks, that is HER choice, made as an adult.

My former room-mate took Roaccutane for severe acne.  She was told she could ONLY be on it for 6 months (by the doctor) and that if it hadn't worked by that time it would not work at all.  It did work exactly as described and her skin has been much better since then even though she is no longer on the drug.  She had awful side effects with it such as seriously sun-sensitive skin (bad sunburn even in winter if she didn't wear maximum SPF factor sunscreen at all times) and some sensitivity issues with her eyes.  She was glad to get off the drug.  I'm surprised your step-daughter has been taking it for so long and that a doctor has prescribed it for so long for her.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 13, 2013 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I would not want my teen to use that drug. Many acne drugs are awful. I hear changing diets help a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GarysWife1991
by on May. 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM
3 moms liked this

Maybe I'm naive but I'd trust her dr.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 13, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I have heard bad things about Roaccutane and Jasmin myself and would be very reluctant to have my children on either.  Is she still on Roaccutane?  2 years seems a long time to be on it, and if it had worked like it was meant to she should be able to be on a regular BC pill and not Jasmin. Unfortunately she is an adult so your hands seem to be pretty much tied in this.

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this

The BC pill you are talking about is like most all BC pills, there CAN be an increased risk of stroke, that has always been the case.  I know quite a few people who took Accutane and didn't have any problems on them.  Accutane is supposed to be short-lived!

Aslen
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this
If she's been on it so long with no issues, then she's fine
elijahXmom
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I know 2 guys to use these type drugs life was hell for both before the drug and while using it my cousin tried killing himself but after they finished the rx both were happy. Idk if I could handle my being so broken /hurting.

Quoting StepMum1389:

Hi mums, I am curious to know what you would do in this situation...

My 18 year old step-daughter was prescribed Roaccutane (for severe acne) when she was 15 and then Jasmin when she was 17 (the pill also used for patients with acne).  Both drugs are known to have severe possible side-effects including death.  In fact, in Amercia alone there are 1,900 class-action lawsuits settled against the drug company Bayer for the drug Jasmine.  Roaccutane is just as bad with Roche having paid out $53 million already in class actions.

When my husband researched these drugs he told his ex-wife that he didnt want his daughter taking the drug. His ex-wife, as she usually does... ignored him and went ahead.  She was more concerned that acne might give her daughter low self-esteem.

So my husband tried to appeal to the commonsense of his 18 year old daughter last week and showed her a news item on tv and website information on the drug.  No luck.  In fact, she got angry and yelled at him (because he cared whether she lives or dies? what a horrible father).  She said... "You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet or hear on the news!  Your not a doctor!  THANK GOD FOR MUM !! "

So I am assuming that my step-daughter should not rely on the internet when researching her school assignments either because the information isnt reliable?  The patients who are suing the pharmacuetical companies were prescribed this medication by a doctor.  How does being a doctor mean you will never be improperly prescribed medicine?!  It is so illogical but teenagers are.

I know there is no solution here - my husband is well-accustomed to the fact that he never gets a say in his daughters health & well-being, schooling or discipline etc.  However, the  question I am asking is... would you risk putting  your daughter/son on a prescribed drug that had possible severe long term side effects?

kaybear123
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:01 AM
4 moms liked this

What medicine couldn't cause death?

CafeMom Tickers
Cindy18
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Well, I probably wouldn't have started my child on drugs just for acne and especially not it the drug was that dangerous. 

BUT your SDD is now an adult at 18 and it's her decision. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)