Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In Need Of Objective Opinions

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 24 Replies

My oldest daughter is finishing up her Freshman year of high school this month.   What I am trying to decide is if this situation warrants my contacting the school or not.  A little background information first.  The problem involves her Honors US History II class.  At the beginning of the year she had an awesome teacher and really enjoyed the class.  After the Winter break said teacher was promoted to Vice Principal.  They hired a new assistant football coach and he took over some of the History classes including her's.  While a nice enough young man (he is only 26 lol), he is a bit lack luster as a teacher.  Most of class now consists of watching news videos and just going over study packets.  Now here is where my issue comes in,  I have no problem with news stories being discussed in class.  My daughter watches the news herself to some extent and I think it's important for kids to learn about current events.  It was one particular story that he shared with the class that has me concerned.  He shared a story about a 6 month old child being raped by a family member and how she died of her injuries caused by the rape.  They discussed the story in class.  My daughter came to me a day or two afterwards because it was still disturbing her and on her mind.  While I don't necessarily sugar coat the world when it comes to my kids I felt this was over the top.   My DH is pestering me to contact the Principal about this because he feels it's totally out of line.  I on the other hand am a little bit on the fence.  I am leaning towards calling but I wanted to get a few other Mom's opinions.  I asked my daughter how she felt about the entire situation and her response was while she likes this teacher well enough she felt the whole discussion was to much.  Of couse she doesn't want one of her teachers to get in trouble and that isn't my intentions.  Just a little bit of filtering on certain stories would be nice.  But, then again I would hate for them to go to the other extreme and decide they shouldn't share any current events with the students.  So!  What do you wonderful ladies think??

by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:32 AM

BUMP!

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I would leave it alone. My thoughts are THIS is news. Sadly its on tv or the internet daily. If any action was to have been taken it should have been done right after it happened. Also I think your husband should have called the meeting and seen him. Man to man so the teacher could have better insight on how he led the discussion or when to have stopped it.

leighp1
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

boy this is a dilemma.  I would be concerned over the story, but I do wonder why he opted to tell this story.  Was is in relation to another story?  Sometimes they have to use that "shock" factor in getting the kids attention.  Do I agree with it?  Nope, not at all.  With it being so close to the end of school, I would wait until school is over with and then contact the principal.  I have a fear of teacher retaliation.  You should talk to your dd (which I think you have) and let her know that yes, things like this happen and that people in this world are very cruel, but that he is probably  making a point for them to understand something else.  My dd tends to find something in a story and stay on that certain area when it was just a small part of an entire story that really had nothing to do with the part she is hanging on to. 

I just would be so confused as to what to do as well.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM

My Dh is actually  both my daughters step-father (their father my late husband passed away when they were little).  While he is a parent figure in the household he usually defers to me on things like this although he does share his opinion.   I tend to be the more level headed one of the two of us.  This is only the third time in 10 years with our school district that I have ever had an issue with something to do with a teacher.  I guess that is actually a fairly good track record.  I may speak with my daughter this afternoon and ask her if she thinks it's something that needs my intervention.  She is very mature and independent for her age so I may see what her input on it would be.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM
4 moms liked this

I have to say at my kids school they do not filter anything at the high school level.  If it is on the news,it is fair game.  My daughter was in a class discussion about genocide in Somalia and an accreditation team came by, and they were shocked by the discussion.  The accreditation team was informed that the students were expected to have the intellect and maturity to listen and contribute to dicussions regarding controversial topics.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:09 AM

My issue wasn't so much that they heard about the news story.   But all the gritty detailed of this poor babies death were discussed including the type of injuries internally that she endured.   My daughter is pretty thick skinned, so I know if it shook her up it had to be pretty horrific.  I plan to talk with her again today and get her input too. 

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this

My suggestion would be to talk to the teacher directly (especially if you are on the fence) instead of going directly to administration. I believe in talking to a person directly before going immediately to their supervisor.

I'm not sure where they would have received any information besides what's found in the news, but I think discussing current events is important. Also, typically with honors classes, I think there is the assumption that those students can handle more adult topics like this than the general classes. As tragic as the event is, I'm not surprised that it was discussed in such a class.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk directly with the teacher. No need to go to the principal and find out why he chose the story, why he felt the need to go into such details (may have been student lead) and then make a choice after talking to him.

It's a sad world we live in, sadder that these kinda things do go one. Maybe help your DD work through her emotions.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
No, I would not go to the school, it sadly happened and I agree with the pp that said it's a sad world we live in. I would tell your Dh to go himself if it's bothering him so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you ladies for you input I appreciate it.  I will talk to my daughter this afternoon about it but I am feeling it's going to be one of those things we leave alone.  It's seems to be a fine line you walk once they enter high school between an involved parent and an OVER-involved parent.  Again thank you for the objective opinions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)