Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

ETA: Should this teacher have been fired?

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 133 Replies

A Florida high school teacher was asked to resign the other day when the principal of her school was made aware that she is a bikini model. 

According to the interview given, there is nothing in her contract stating that she could not model. Do you think  you she should have been fired for being a bikini model? Do you think it has something to do with being a young high school teacher?

ETA: I've looked online and I cannot find more to the story. She says that she knew it was a risk because teachers get fired everyday for all kinds of things. In no interview did she say anything about having a morality clause in her contract.

Another thing to take into consideration is that she wasn't even modeling under her own name. She used an assumed name to model. 

by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VickyJoJo
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM
9 moms liked this

According to the article, she actually figured that she would get fired but did it anyway.  This is not the first time this type of situation has occured.  So frankly, I do think she should be fired, not because of the modeling (which there is nothing wrong with and there is nothing to say she can't have a second job) but because she made a judgement error in pursing it while knowing that it would get her fired.  Therefore her "risk management" skills are poor and these skills are necessary in teaching at any grade level. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on May. 14, 2013 at 9:22 AM
6 moms liked this
I guess I would have to see the entire article but since there is nothing wrong with being a bikini model and there's nothing illegal or immoral about it, I would say she should be permitted to keep her job.
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 14, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this

There is probably more to this story. I mean she was asked to resign. She could have fought it. The comments to the article imply that she said she wasn't going to return to teaching next year anyhow. It's possible that there were other issues going on since she didn't seem to value her teaching job anyhow.

Reina13
by Reina on May. 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I agree. I wondered if there was more to the story. She did say that she put in her resignation for the end of the year and that she would not be returning the following year.

I just wonder why the hurry. There was maybe 6 weeks left of school. Why not allow her to finish out the year.

Quoting Barabell:

There is probably more to this story. I mean she was asked to resign. She could have fought it. The comments to the article imply that she said she wasn't going to return to teaching next year anyhow. It's possible that there were other issues going on since she didn't seem to value her teaching job anyhow.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this
If that is it, no. Sick of people tryingv to judge you out of work. Remember our ministers wife laying in the yard between their house and the church in a not so skimpy bikini. Oh, how awful (sarcasm).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Ida on May. 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I wouldn't see a problem with it as long as she does her job

Snowl
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM

There HAS to more to it then just modeling. Even if her teaching contract had a morals clause being a model is not immoral.

drfink
by Emily on May. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM
6 moms liked this

Unless she was using posters of the shoot to cover her bulletin boards at school it is wrong for them to ask for her resignation.My kids former eighth grade English teacher plays in two bands...one mainstream semi-cover band the other alt punk rock.I have seen him play in both.I would not take my kids to see him in the alt band because lots and lots of cussing was involved and he was their teacher . That in no way diminishes that he was a very talented and gifted teacher they were lucky to have.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM
My dd's teacher showed the kids when she competed in the Miss Georgia pageant. She was first runner up. This was a Christian school even!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting atlmom2:

If that is it, no. Sick of people tryingv to judge you out of work. Remember our ministers wife laying in the yard between their house and the church in a not so skimpy bikini. Oh, how awful (sarcasm).

Agree, agree, agree.....it's not illegal!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)