Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

what if?

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 13 Replies

What if your child is dating someone you don't like? What would you do? How would you handle it? 

by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaLoriLee
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Depends on WHY I don't like them.
fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM
It would depend in many different things.
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM
One time I told her he could not come to our home. Was not gonna make her stop seeing him. She was 18 and out of hs, but living in our home. He didn't last long!!. He stole money from her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I go by the "keep your enemies closer" thought. I my son did date a girl we didn't care for. Neither of them knew. We invited her into our home and lives with open arms. We invited her to everything and she refused 99% of the time. They dated 2.5 years . He realized she wasn't the one.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM

This has always been my approach.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I go by the "keep your enemies closer" thought. I my son did date a girl we didn't care for. Neither of them knew. We invited her into our home and lives with open arms. We invited her to everything and she refused 99% of the time. They dated 2.5 years . He realized she wasn't the one.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 17, 2013 at 3:29 PM

My dd briefly dated someone I didn't care for. I didn't forbid it or trash talk him to my dd but I was sooooo happy when she broke up with him after about a month of seeing him.

Sunshine2plus2
by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM

What could I say. One way or another if they want to see each they will.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I don't know since my son hasn't started dating yet. I'm leaning towards keeping my mouth shut unless it was an incredibly harmful relationship.

MrsBLB
by Missi on May. 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Depends on why there is dislike.  If abuse was involved, I would end it.  

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I try to find some characteristic that is redeeming and focus on that.   My son and his girlfriend have been together for a couple years, I didn't really like her at first.   Okay, I admit it; she drove me nuts!!   I have learned to like her because she is important to my son.   I still don't think she is the one for him, but my opinion isn't the one that matters.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)