Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

The make up question

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM
  • 27 Replies
SD just turned 13 and currently isn't allowed to wear makeup outside of the house. But next weekend I will be taking her to Merle Norman to get a color and application consultation. She will learn what colors to wear and avoid and how to apply it correctly. I will then buy her some of her own good makeup. I am just not sure how far to go with it. Foundation, blush, eyeshadow only or let her wear it all if she wants to. DH basically has said it is my decision. I need help! Lol
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Mine only wear eye liner and mascara. They are 22 and 19. That is all they have ever worn since they were 12. They will wear more makeup for a very special occasion but that is it. It was never a big deal to me or them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

My daughter has been allowed to wear make up since she was 12, she doesn't like foundation and on occasion uses a mineral foundation.  When she wears make-up it's usually just eye make-up and lip gloss.  She's 14

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Why aren't you asking BM? That would be my first point of call not a online forum. SMH. Assuming that BM is *not* in the picture at all, I would let her lead. Let her pick out what she wants (within reason). It's going on HER face.

sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I think there should be an emphasis on looking natural and good skin health.

Rules like sunscreen at all times.  No make up during sports.  No sleeping in make up.  Good quality face wash.  Moisturizer.  Etc.  Good skin health FIRST and foremost!

Then the make up... natural, good quality, no sharing eye make up or lip make up.  etc.

VickyJoJo
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM

My 13YO had a consult like you are planning.  It was great.  She only wears a neutral eye shadow and mascara to school but knows how to do the other things such as blush for special occasions and dance recitals.  The best aspect of such a consult is skin care so try to include that.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I think that getting the consultation is a great idea!   At 13, I would probably limit her to mascara, blush and lip gloss.   I would not encourage foundation, or eye shadow.   I think a tinted moisturizer would be okay.

bellasmom32510
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow! Really? Snarky much? Just for your clarification SD lives with us full time and sees BM 12-24 hours every 4-6 weeks or so. The last time BM tried to give SD makeup advice SD looked like a hooker and her makeup was so heavy she had a ring around her face and is took 2 days of scrubbing to get it all off! SO, no she isn't really helpful in this department much like every other department in SD's life.

As far as it being on her face, no shit. However, I wanted to gage how others introduced the use of makeup with their teens. But thanks.

Quoting GleekingOut:

Why aren't you asking BM? That would be my first point of call not a online forum. SMH. Assuming that BM is *not* in the picture at all, I would let her lead. Let her pick out what she wants (within reason). It's going on HER face.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I would start with foundation, blush (though it's probably not neccessary), eye shadow and a gloss.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:19 PM

How the hell was I being snarky? I'm just thinking as a SM to someone who has a BM - her BM would be so pissed if I did that. Hell - she was pissed when I attempted to straighten SD's hair. But anyway - apologies for sounding snarky. What I did with my DD was I applied it the first few weeks, explaining what I did, how to do it, etc. After that I got her to take over different things until she knew how to apply it all. We also didn't introduce her to the whole lot in one go. Lipgloss first, then a few weeks later, mascara, eyeshadow, blush, etc. She was about 15 before she was allowed to wear the whole lot.

Quoting bellasmom32510:

Wow! Really? Snarky much? Just for your clarification SD lives with us full time and sees BM 12-24 hours every 4-6 weeks or so. The last time BM tried to give SD makeup advice SD looked like a hooker and her makeup was so heavy she had a ring around her face and is took 2 days of scrubbing to get it all off! SO, no she isn't really helpful in this department much like every other department in SD's life.

As far as it being on her face, no shit. However, I wanted to gage how others introduced the use of makeup with their teens. But thanks.

Quoting GleekingOut:

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM
If she has good skin I'd avoid foundation, most girls really don't need it. In the beginning nine have to keep it simple, as they get older they can go heavier. This is my opinion so no one jump me here, but young girls with a lot of make up just look like little kids trying to grow up to fast. It looks cheesy to me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)