Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My 18 y/o posted a pic of him snorting drugs

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 13 Replies

The pic was sent to us by someone who saw it in a social networking site. My son is with a small group of friends in a field trip outside of the country. This is his first time to be away. We don't know if the pic was intended to be a joke since it was posted online. But seeing it, I felt like a cold water washed over me. My initial thought was I only see this kind in the movies or TV shows & I'm now looking at my son doing it. It was scary. He'll be home in 2 days. He has a part-time job & goes to school full time, too. I'm afraid he's just going to let us hear what we want to hear & still go on doing drugs/smoking. Pls, any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momcat437
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:48 PM

There's not too much you can do when he's not with you--you can show him the picture and tell him you're very upset about it--he'll either laugh it off or get mad.  Either way, he's gonna do what he wants...hopefully, he'll make the right choice, you can only pray he does...

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:10 AM
2 moms liked this

He's 18 - I'm afraid that if the drugs are legal in your state then you can't turn him in, but I would tell him that if he wants to continue living under my roof, surviving mostly on my money that he will not take any drugs again until he moves out. I would then tell him that a condition of living here would now entail drug tests and if I found a positive result, his room would be stripped.Do you have any minor children at home? I would explain to him that if he got caught in your house with drugs that even though he's an adult, you and dad would still be in trouble and possibly risk loosing your younger children. I would tell him, that he's had his fun, that was his warning, and if he did it again, he'd be out. By the way - you don't say;  was there a teacher on this field trip? Is your son in high school or college? if he's in college definetely ask him to leave. If there was a teacher there I would bring it up with the school, a teacher should not be promoting drug use.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 20, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I can't think of any drugs that are snorted that are legal.

Quoting GleekingOut:

He's 18 - I'm afraid that if the drugs are legal in your state then you can't turn him in, but I would tell him that if he wants to continue living under my roof, surviving mostly on my money that he will not take any drugs again until he moves out. I would then tell him that a condition of living here would now entail drug tests and if I found a positive result, his room would be stripped.Do you have any minor children at home? I would explain to him that if he got caught in your house with drugs that even though he's an adult, you and dad would still be in trouble and possibly risk loosing your younger children. I would tell him, that he's had his fun, that was his warning, and if he did it again, he'd be out. By the way - you don't say;  was there a teacher on this field trip? Is your son in high school or college? if he's in college definetely ask him to leave. If there was a teacher there I would bring it up with the school, a teacher should not be promoting drug use.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:05 AM

silly me - I thought even something like mariuana could be snorted. Shows how much I know about drugs.

Quoting atlmom2:

I can't think of any drugs that are snorted that are legal.

Quoting GleekingOut:

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

When he gets home...confront him.    He is obviously not responsible enough to be taking field trips, especially on your dime.   If you are paying for his schooling, perhaps you should drug test him at random times.     I would print out and show him some information on the dangers of the most popular 'snorting' drugs...... Cocaine, Meth, Heroin... these are all dangerous drugs and very addicting.     Posting pictures online of being stupid is beyond stupid!   Future employers will google his name...  is that the image he wants them to see?    

21lisa72
by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Confront him with it and dont listen to crap.  Does he live under your roof?  Than no drugs.  I would try to take him to a counceler snorting is serious how do you/he know what he was snorting he could be told its one thing and its something else like rat poison!  And if he is doing this sorry to say probably not the first time went through this when my husbands son was about 16 he ended up hospitalized for a year!

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Since he is grown there is not much you can do. I would talk to him and see what the issue was. Was it a joke? I don't think snorting drugs is much of a joke tho. :(

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM

The problem with the over the counter drug test? They DON'T work. I was testing my daughter after I caught her smoking weed. She came up clean every time. I still suspected she was doing it. I had a friend of mine (that I know smokes pot) take the test they came up clean too. :(

Quoting boys2men2soon:

When he gets home...confront him.    He is obviously not responsible enough to be taking field trips, especially on your dime.   If you are paying for his schooling, perhaps you should drug test him at random times.     I would print out and show him some information on the dangers of the most popular 'snorting' drugs...... Cocaine, Meth, Heroin... these are all dangerous drugs and very addicting.     Posting pictures online of being stupid is beyond stupid!   Future employers will google his name...  is that the image he wants them to see?    

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Quoting chattycassie:

The problem with the over the counter drug test? They DON'T work. I was testing my daughter after I caught her smoking weed. She came up clean every time. I still suspected she was doing it. I had a friend of mine (that I know smokes pot) take the test they came up clean too. :(

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Interesting!   The drug testing strips purchased at the Health Food Store worked for us.

daisykat
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Go buy a drug test from Walgreens. When he gets home, confront him about the picture. Chances are, he'll say, "Mom, it was just a joke!" That's when you pull out the drug test and say, "Then you won't mind peeing in a cup for me to make sure." Then he'll get indignant. If he walks out the door or refuses, there's your answer. If he's clean, he'll understand and do it right away.

If he tests positive or refuses, you've got some serious issues to be discussed. The house rules will now change if he lives there, and he will no longer be afforded the privilege of complete privacy. If he wants to continue living there, he will have to submit to random drug testing, starting RIGHT NOW. If he refuses, tell him to start packing, because he's either moving to his own place or to rehab.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN