Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

school

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:58 AM
  • 18 Replies
My son is 13 and in the 8th grade and I for the life of me can not get him to do his school work and turn it in! He is failing everything this quarter. He is and has been punished from all things electronic which just about kills him and he still don't do it.....the worse part is he knows it all and could have straight A's....Help
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Have you gone to his counselor? Do so first thing in the morning. Sit in the office until you can talk with someone and make a plan for keeping your child from failing.

Taking away the electronics is a good first step. Next step is to sit his butt at the kitchen table to do his homework with him. Just sit next to him till he does it. If he understands what he's doing, then have HIM teach YOU. That's what I've done with mine regarding algebra, because he hates having to write out the problems and do the work. I've had him show me how it's done. He also does a lot of his homework on the computer and then I email it to his teachers.

Has your son been diagnosed with any learning issues such as ADHD or autism? Mine has Aspergers and has had an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) since 4th grade. It's really made a difference.

pickles326
by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:38 AM
I have talked to everyone at this school sometimes it just feels like they just push the kids through. We have had him tested for adhd however the child is far from hyper buy he has sleep apnea and they Ste getting ready to put him on a cpap machine so that hopefully he will be able to get the sleep he needs to stay focused on his work.

Quoting gdiamante:Have you gone to his counselor? Do so first thing in the morning. Sit in the office until you can talk with someone and make a plan for keeping your child from failing.Taking away the electronics is a good first step. Next step is to sit his butt at the kitchen table to do his homework with him. Just sit next to him till he does it. If he understands what he's doing, then have HIM teach YOU. That's what I've done with mine regarding algebra, because he hates having to write out the problems and do the work. I've had him show me how it's done. He also does a lot of his homework on the computer and then I email it to his teachers.Has your son been diagnosed with any learning issues such as ADHD or autism? Mine has Aspergers and has had an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) since 4th grade. It's really made a difference.
Ronda2012
by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Burnout? That was my problem at that age...I was doing so much that I just got burnout. Is there an activity he'd like to do in the summer? Acting? Sports? Computer class? You might be able to motivate him to at least pass classes by offering an incentive... Change in routine could help too...There's only a few weeks left of the school year though...I know my son's in 8th grade, and they just had their awards ceremonies and everything and they have just 3 weeks left... Summer school may be in order if your son isn't passing... 

pickles326
by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:08 AM
My son gets out June 11th I offered him money if he passed however I told him from mid school year that if he did not pass I would not pay for summer school and he would not be allowed to go on and vacation trips we do over the summer because I know he is smart just lazy

Quoting Ronda2012:

Burnout? That was my problem at that age...I was doing so much that I just got burnout. Is there an activity he'd like to do in the summer? Acting? Sports? Computer class? You might be able to motivate him to at least pass classes by offering an incentive... Change in routine could help too...There's only a few weeks left of the school year though...I know my son's in 8th grade, and they just had their awards ceremonies and everything and they have just 3 weeks left... Summer school may be in order if your son isn't passing... 

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM

My son is about the same age, and if he gets behind on assignments he gets grounded. It's effective for him, so I have no idea what we'd have to do beyond that.

Have you asked him why he's not turning it in? 

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM

He would have a very boring Summer Break, being home schooled.    I would wake him up every single morning and have him hit the books....with my supervision.   He would spend the rest of the day(s) doing work chores around the house.    I would even ask neighbors if they would consider hiring him to mow lawns and do yard work.    He would use any money he earned to pay for his own school supplies and summer school next year if he pulls this stunt again.

Hopefully, the summer would be a lesson for him and offer incentive to do well in school......because YOU shouldn't have to waste good money for him to fail for not trying,  hard labor is what he will have to look forward to if he does not get a proper education...so he may as well get used to it.

MomsRule723
by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Good luck and let me know when you figure it out.  In the same boat with mine.  So freaking frustrating!!!

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM

It's hard to find a kids currency when grounding doesn't work, for most kids that's all it takes. You have to find his little weakness and exploit it. Think outside the box...good luck.

drfink
by Emily on May. 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

It's hard to find a kids currency when grounding doesn't work, for most kids that's all it takes. You have to find his little weakness and exploit it. Think outside the box...good luck.

yup so correct...find the soft spot.Mine don't like being grounded at all but they each have special interests they are involved in that just grounding from those does the trick quick...soft spot.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM
When mine failed one assignment I was on it, or one Zero, way before failing a whole class. They didn't do anything. Because they liked a social life this rarely happened and they would raise a grade quickly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN