NATIONAL PICK STRAWBERRIES DAY
May 20 annually celebrates a sweet and tasty holiday, it is National Pick Strawberries Day. There is something special about the taste of a strawberry picked straight off of the vine.
Strawberry picking time is normally between late April and through out the summer, depending on what part of the United States you live in. When harvesting strawberries, you want to look for the bright-red, firm and plump ones.
- Strawberries are members of the rose family
- Strawberries are the only fruit with their seeds on the outside
- Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C
- Strawberries are low fat, low in calories and a good source of fiber, folic acid and potassium
- Strawberries help can help fight bad cholesterol and may reduce inflammation
- The first strawberries were grown in France in the late 18th century. Prior to the 18th century, wild strawberries were collected and commonly used as a fruit source.
Enjoy some freshly picked strawberries today!
Have you ever picked your own berries?