Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Missing the Last day of school PIOG UPDATE in RED

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 36 Replies

So School is out tomorrow 05/20/13 for the 8th graders. My daughter’s ceremony is tonight and the only thing they are doing tomorrow is the year end field trip. My daughter was suspended from school this year so she is not able to attend. I am letting her stay home from school since its only a field trip. My mom thinks I should make her go since she was the one suspended. What do you think? Would you make your kids sit at school all day when the others are on a field trip? (She was suspended for a confrontation with another girl NO hitting was involved words only. ) What do you think would you let her stay home?

Thank you all for your comments and advise. So I did allow her to stay home with some extra chores to complete. (hey this is not a free day) She has to clean the kitchen from top to bottom including walls and trash cans, she also needs to do the same in the bathroom. That should keep her busy when I am at work.

by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM
I probably would let her stay home. My kids typically don't go the last day of school since its usually only a half day and everything is done with by then. Last year my daughter didnt go the last day because her brothers graduation was the night before, it started at 8pm.
chattycassie
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM

It is a full day but they are only having the field trip she can't go to. Of I send her she will sit in the office all day. IDK My mom thinks I should make her go since she LOST the field trip. :)

Quoting fammatthews4:

I probably would let her stay home. My kids typically don't go the last day of school since its usually only a half day and everything is done with by then. Last year my daughter didnt go the last day because her brothers graduation was the night before, it started at 8pm.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Would depend on why she was suspended for the confrontation (is it in-school suspension?).  If it were my daughter and she was the aggressor in the situation and in the wrong I would make her go.  It is the consequences for her actions and she would have to deal with it.  If she was defending herself and/or standing up to a bully I would let her stay home as long as there would be no issue with the school. 

VickyJoJo
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

If I understand you correctly, the school's consequence of the incident was a suspension that includes not being able to go on this field trip.  If you allow her to stay home, you are, in effect, stating that the school's punishments mean nothing to you.  I think you should make her go to school even though it is the last day.  While she may be a good kid in general, this will have a lasting impression on her not to disrespect the rules of her school.  

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Although I do agree not to undermine the school in this situation, the girl she confronted showed up at our house the night before with about 15 other girls to "jump" my daughter. I was not home my nephew (20) was watching the kids he stopped it from happening. The next day she did confront the girl. ONLY my daughter was suspended. I had already called the school to tell them as well. The response from the school was they can't do anything about something that happens after school. I did not punish her at home for the suspension since she did not use violence only words.

Quoting VickyJoJo:

If I understand you correctly, the school's consequence of the incident was a suspension that includes not being able to go on this field trip.  If you allow her to stay home, you are, in effect, stating that the school's punishments mean nothing to you.  I think you should make her go to school even though it is the last day.  While she may be a good kid in general, this will have a lasting impression on her not to disrespect the rules of her school.  

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

The girl she confronted showed up at our house the night before with about 15 other girls to "jump" my daughter. I was not home my nephew (20) was watching the kids he stopped it from happening. The next day she did confront the girl. ONLY my daughter was suspended. I had already called the school to tell them as well. The response from the school was they can't do anything about something that happens after school. I did not punish her at home for the suspension since she did not use violence only words.

Quoting Txlisa7969:

Would depend on why she was suspended for the confrontation (is it in-school suspension?).  If it were my daughter and she was the aggressor in the situation and in the wrong I would make her go.  It is the consequences for her actions and she would have to deal with it.  If she was defending herself and/or standing up to a bully I would let her stay home as long as there would be no issue with the school. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM
I would make her attend to show her what happens when you are suspended. Keeping her home is the wrong message.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chattycassie
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM

See if this was the only thing that caused her to be suspended I would make her go no problem. However this other girl and her had been having problems over a week. My daughter went to the school about the problems and as a result this girl showed up at our house to "jump" my daughter. IDK its a close call for me. She did confront this girl, however before she did she did go to the school for help. :)

Quoting atlmom2:

I would make her attend to show her what happens when you are suspended. Keeping her home is the wrong message.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM
No matter what, I would want her to know she was wrong whether the others got in trouble or not. I would make her go. Too many make excuses today. She can own her actions.

Quoting chattycassie:

See if this was the only thing that caused her to be suspended I would make her go no problem. However this other girl and her had been having problems over a week. My daughter went to the school about the problems and as a result this girl showed up at our house to "jump" my daughter. IDK its a close call for me. She did confront this girl, however before she did she did go to the school for help. :)

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

I agree that keeping her home sends the wrong message, even if you disagree with the punishment. There are other ways to appeal punishments that you disagree with. My husband received a speeding tickets that we disagreed with (car next to us was speeding, but he ticketed us both based on the other car's speed), but we still paid the fine when our appeal didn't work. It's part of life, and we still have to act responsibly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)