Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What should I let my daughter and her sister talk about when they visit at jail?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am taking my 16 year old daughter to visit her 21 year old sister in jail who is there for one year for a hit and run DUI. I was against taking her since I didn't want her to be in that prison environment but I have decided to let her. One thing I wonder is what they can talk about in their short visiting period. Also, what should I tell my younger daughter in advance? Some say to use this as a "learning experience" for my younger daughter. What does that mean?

by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Replies (11-13):
DarlaHood
by on May. 26, 2013 at 4:15 AM

Using it as a learning experience means explaining to your younger dd how her sister's choices led to the situation she is in.  She may not have meant for anything to happen.  She may regret it.  But still she made choices that led to her eventually being intoxicated behind the wheel, and she is in jail because of it.  If your older daughter recognizes and accepts responsibility for it, then she may also tell your younger dd this.  If not, then you may have to explain how she doesn't see it yet, but your older dd is not thinking clearly. 

You aren't going to limit what they talk about.  Just let that be.

s2354125
by on May. 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I have read that it is better not to allow her to visit since if she visits  she could become comfortable and familiar with the environment. In an effort to relate to her sister, she might relate to the other inmates, thinking "My sister isn't that bad; they probably aren't, either." Such an environment subconsciously becomes a normal part of life to her,

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 27, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Whatever comes natural for them to talk about. There is absolutely nothing "glamorous" about a prison or jail, I wouldn't worry about it effecting lil sis that way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)