Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

grandmother raising teens

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM
  • 5 Replies
I'm a mother of 6 grown children. They were easy to raise. Now I;m helping raise 2 grand children who are totally different. They both lie and steal The boy finshes his work but doesn't hand it in. The girl says she did it and handed it in but then we find out she lied and nothig was handed in. I love these kids and waht the best for them but I'm afraid for them. They are very smart but very immature.
by on May. 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
CMLaurie
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Hi OP -  It's great that you are helping out but why are you helping to raise your Grandchildren? Are your Granchildrens parents living with you? I can't explain what is going on with kids today. Have you talked with their parents? Maybe even talked with the teachers? Perhaps tough love is in order. Or when they fail a grade maybe that will open their eyes to the fact that they can't slack off. I don't have much information for you but can understand how you are concerned for them. I hope the situation improves!  

fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 26, 2013 at 7:23 AM
You say you are helping to raise them so does that mean they and the parents live with you? What consequences have been implemented?
02nana07
by Ida on May. 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I would put some rules in place and if any classes are failed they would be in summer school no exceptions.  This would help them decide what to do when they are thinking about not turning in work. 

21lisa72
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I am sorry that you are in this situation but you are a great person to do it, set limits call the school ask for daily progress reports to keep up on work and make sure your grandson is owning up to his responsibilities

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on May. 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Setting firm boundaries, explaining them and then most importantly following through is what I have found most helpful with teens
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)