Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

for those moms who have/had a child go to college away from home

Posted by   + Show Post

How did you work the allowance?

Did you give them a credit card and give them a monthly limit?

Did you put money in the bank and give them an atm card?

Did you send them cash?

I know the school has a credit card type thing, but that is only good on campus.

by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
Its.Me.Mama
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Billmyparents had a monthly fee, monthly fee plus a fee to uplaod instantly... With upside I only have the fee when I upload.. not that the fee was a lot... I also had read a report naming upside as 1 of the top 3.  We never had any problems with billmyparents.  

Also there were months where Connor wouldnt use it and we would get an extra 3 dollar charge.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM
My dd's checking debit card and account has no fees as long as she is under 25.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Honestly we rarely gave him money. He had to work if he wanted spending money. However he had a checking account and when we did give him money we just went and deposited it in his checking account. Our bank new us, so I didn't even have to say his name. I just said "I need to put money in my son's account". 

sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM

lmbo.... im sure that wont be an issue.  if nothing else I know she would never go a whole month with out getting her brows done, and then there are tampons monthly, razors, etc.

Quoting Its.Me.Mama:

Also there were months where Connor wouldnt use it and we would get an extra 3 dollar charge.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 22, 2013 at 8:20 PM
My dd brought enough of those things for months, then got more on break. She took enough razors to school for the whole year actually. Didn't even use all her shampoo and conditioner she originally took.

Quoting sahlady:

lmbo.... im sure that wont be an issue.  if nothing else I know she would never go a whole month with out getting her brows done, and then there are tampons monthly, razors, etc.

Quoting Its.Me.Mama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:25 PM

My daughter has a student account with no monthly charge.  I am on the account, and can transfer money into it.  My daughter will have a job this summer, and should earn most of her spending money.

sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM

There is a target near school and I figured I would take her shopping before I leave.  But Im not packing that stuff and bringing it from home.  Not sure how much storage she will have to keep all that stuff.

Quoting atlmom2:

My dd brought enough of those things for months, then got more on break. She took enough razors to school for the whole year actually. Didn't even use all her shampoo and conditioner she originally took.

Quoting sahlady:

Quoting Its.Me.Mama:

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Dd brought a lot and we went to Walmart before we left. She had a while closet and several drawers. Used under bed storage too. Their dorm rooms were larger than most she looked at other schools.

Quoting sahlady:

There is a target near school and I figured I would take her shopping before I leave.  But Im not packing that stuff and bringing it from home.  Not sure how much storage she will have to keep all that stuff.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting sahlady:

Quoting Its.Me.Mama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:52 PM

oh the under bed storage is a great idea.  I know we paid for the upgrade.  for the ridiculous amount you have to pay to begin with the upgrade was minimal in comparison.  so she is sharing a bathroom with only 3 other girls and they have a common room between the two two-people rooms.  Hopefully my dd's room will be like yours and be larger than I expect.

Quoting atlmom2:

Dd brought a lot and we went to Walmart before we left. She had a while closet and several drawers. Used under bed storage too. Their dorm rooms were larger than most she looked at other schools.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM
My dd had 4 showers and 4 toilets for 23 girls. Next year it is a quad. 1 bath, 4 girls 2 bedroom and a tiny sitting room.

Quoting sahlady:

oh the under bed storage is a great idea.  I know we paid for the upgrade.  for the ridiculous amount you have to pay to begin with the upgrade was minimal in comparison.  so she is sharing a bathroom with only 3 other girls and they have a common room between the two two-people rooms.  Hopefully my dd's room will be like yours and be larger than I expect.

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN