Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

for those moms who have/had a child go to college away from home

Posted by   + Show Post

How did you work the allowance?

Did you give them a credit card and give them a monthly limit?

Did you put money in the bank and give them an atm card?

Did you send them cash?

I know the school has a credit card type thing, but that is only good on campus.

by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:59 PM

yes that is what we signed up for.   hope it works out.  though I heard that it was more fun and you met more people sharing the one bathroom for the whole floor.

Quoting atlmom2:

Next year it is a quad. 1 bath, 4 girls 2 bedroom and a tiny sitting room.
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 22, 2013 at 9:00 PM

This was not her room but her's was identical. They would drag mattresses off and have slumber parties. Especially since dd's roommate sucked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 22, 2013 at 9:09 PM
That's true. Everyone kept doors open because you could see in all the rooms. Good for freshman.

Quoting sahlady:

yes that is what we signed up for.   hope it works out.  though I heard that it was more fun and you met more people sharing the one bathroom for the whole floor.

Quoting atlmom2:

Next year it is a quad. 1 bath, 4 girls 2 bedroom and a tiny sitting room.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:26 PM
My sons bank account and mine are linked so when he needs money I will just put it in his account.
suesues
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I was thinking the same she will have a meal plan and I will put $ on college acct for books otherwise I was thinking debit card so I can add $ when needed

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I got them a bank account at the same bank we use, that has a debit card.  Set it up with the bank so I could transfer money into their account (done online, I can even do it on my phone).

With my older daughter, the first one to go far away, the first month she called and asked for more money.  I asked where the money went that I gave her -she started telling me that NYC was expensive.  (She also had a meal plan for 10 meals a week).  Turns out she bought a pair of $200 pants!

We got past that.  With the next one, who is in a small town, I gave her money, and asked her to keep track of purchases for the first month.  Adjusted the amount based on that. 

The linked account works well, especially in cases of emergency.

amckechnie
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM

My kids have a monthly limit in their checking account. i help them with extra ordinary expenses but they are responsible for the rest......both of them work as well.

nuts4scouts
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM

My kids never got an allowance. They earned their money. 

Daughter had a job since 8th grade, so by the time she went to college she already had her own bank account. In college she worked for the school in various jobs, and also had outside jobs.

If there was an emergency (she was short of funds for something important) we would put money directly into her bank account.

mt0130
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

We opened a bank account in the town where the college is, there was also a branch on campus, for the "just in case" money. Left him with about $100.00 also. We put him on our credit card account, so he got his own card, but it is on our bill so we know how much he is spending. By doing this it makes them think twice before they use the card, but it is good to have in case they need to buy another book, etc. My son informs me every time he uses the card so I am not surprised when the bill comes. I would not get one of the credit cards that they are trying to give them on campus, I saw on a morning show that they are not a good idea.

Golfermom3
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My sons each got credit cards on our account, in high school, to use for gas. In college, they only use it for groceries, gas, and parent-approved "necessities". We have never had a problem with abusing the cards. Just ask them to text us the amount and where they used it. For things like movies or nights out, they used $$$ earned over summer. Oldest set up debit card with bank near-by. Works for us

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)