Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't believe this is legal!!

Posted by   + Show Post
I got a call from my son school today at 11am. I was told my son was being RPCed for drugs. I totally flipped out and went to the school to see what was going on. Come to find out my sons friend is the one who said he had drugs to sell "it turned out to be sugar" and since my some knew he had it my son was now in trouble for not saying anything. I have always raised my kids not to snitch as we learned young that snitches end up in ditches...I have also raised my kids the same way. So to snitch on something that wasn't life threating was not an option in his mind. Then I find out that the police where called and interigated my son without my consent or any other adult present. When I asked why I wasn't notified I was told I didn't have to be notified cause he was over the age of 8!! I can not believe this...adults have the right to an attorney when being questioned but not a child!! I am Not saying that whatever part my son played in this is right...cause I am the first to say what did my son do now. But at the same time I believe my son should have had a parent present. I am beyond mad at the school and police for this. Needless to say we are now talking about homeschooling all our kids since I now know my kids are not safe at school.

What do you think?? Am I over reacting??
by on May. 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 22, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

The police can and will question your child when he's over a certain age. A couple kids said that my son had a gun in his bookbag. The school called me, I went down there and the officer had to question my son in front of me because he was 7yrs old. 

I think using the word interogated is over exagerating because they won't "interogate" a child. 

And I blame you for teaching your children a stupid anology. "Snitches end up in ditches" gives kids the wrong idea and the reason why so many people get raped, kidnapped, etc. Because of parents like you that tell your kids to basically turn a blind eye. 

Hmm...   Your son was questioned for allegedly having a gun in his backpack at age 7.....based on other childrens stories.    Assuming that you son did not actually have a gun.   I  taught my kids to tell ME, a trusted adult about anything they were uncomfortable with.... so that I could make the decision to involve the school, the police, or other parents.          I understand teaching children to not snitch... it sets them up to be bullied and worse.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 22, 2013 at 9:15 PM

The laws regarding this are different for different jurisdictions. I'm sure a local lawyer or child advocate in the OP's area would know immediately if her son's rights were violated or not.

Quoting wodntulk2kno1:

I thought an adult had to be present when questioned by the police unless it is abuse or of that nature.

Babygi
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:29 PM
I never thought of that...I am still mad/angry over this whole situation that I am not thinking clearly. I will be calling a lawyer in the morning to see if what the police said is true or not.

Thank you

Quoting Barabell:

You can see if that's the truth by looking up the laws or talking to a lawyer. Just because they told you that was the law, it doesn't mean it's true. It's not against the law for cops to lie.

Quoting Babygi:

The police department is the one who said everything they did was legal as long as our child was over the age of 8. I just don't get how it could be legal to question a child without a parent present.

Quoting Barabell:

I would look into the laws for your area to see if they violated any of them.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

they didn't question my son until I got there. 

I don't understand teaching a child NOT to snitch. We tell them not to tattle on silly things that should be talked out between the kids "please don't step on my shoes" "Don't take my crayons without asking" etc. But anything more than that needs to be told to a teacher/principal or other adult. 

Quoting boys2men2soon:
Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

The police can and will question your child when he's over a certain age. A couple kids said that my son had a gun in his bookbag. The school called me, I went down there and the officer had to question my son in front of me because he was 7yrs old. 

I think using the word interogated is over exagerating because they won't "interogate" a child. 

And I blame you for teaching your children a stupid anology. "Snitches end up in ditches" gives kids the wrong idea and the reason why so many people get raped, kidnapped, etc. Because of parents like you that tell your kids to basically turn a blind eye. 

Hmm...   Your son was questioned for allegedly having a gun in his backpack at age 7.....based on other childrens stories.    Assuming that you son did not actually have a gun.   I  taught my kids to tell ME, a trusted adult about anything they were uncomfortable with.... so that I could make the decision to involve the school, the police, or other parents.          I understand teaching children to not snitch... it sets them up to be bullied and worse.

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi, and exercising more? We shall see!!!! Follow me at MyFitnessPal

Wedding Countdown Ticker

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

they didn't question my son until I got there. 

I don't understand teaching a child NOT to snitch. We tell them not to tattle on silly things that should be talked out between the kids "please don't step on my shoes" "Don't take my crayons without asking" etc. But anything more than that needs to be told to a teacher/principal or other adult. 

Quoting boys2men2soon:
Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Understood.  We all have different parenting styles.   

21lisa72
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Quoting Babygi:

That's horrible an 8yo has no understanding of this stuff!
sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM
2 moms liked this

his friend was actually trying to sell sugar and saying it was a drug?  

I would be pissed off at my kid for hanging out with such a looser.... and to KNOW about it and go along with it is horrible.  Not sure how I feel about the not snitch rule, but I know I would be very disappointed in my child... and the police issue would be so low on the list of my issues over the situation Im not sure it would rate.

How old is your son?  

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Where the hell do you live that #1 you tell your kids not to tell on people for fear of their lives and #2 that they question children without an adult?? 

My kids know 100% to tell an adult ALWAYS.  You always tell the truth and be forthcoming to any adult. 

Babygi
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 11:52 PM
My son is 14...he said when his friend told him he had it he was like whatever amd went to class. The this friend sold this "sugar" to another student as a drug. I am assuming as soon as they realized it was sugar they got mad and that is when all hell broke loose. My son said they cops pulled him outta class and took him to the office and really scared him. He knows I am not mad at him but I am very dissapointes in him. To me the police issue is very upsetting as all this took place at 8am this morning bit I wasn't notified until 11am.

Quoting sahlady:

his friend was actually trying to sell sugar and saying it was a drug?  

I would be pissed off at my kid for hanging out with such a looser.... and to KNOW about it and go along with it is horrible.  Not sure how I feel about the not snitch rule, but I know I would be very disappointed in my child... and the police issue would be so low on the list of my issues over the situation Im not sure it would rate.

How old is your son?  

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on May. 22, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I would flip! You are not over reacting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)