Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I can't believe this is legal!!

Posted by   + Show Post
I got a call from my son school today at 11am. I was told my son was being RPCed for drugs. I totally flipped out and went to the school to see what was going on. Come to find out my sons friend is the one who said he had drugs to sell "it turned out to be sugar" and since my some knew he had it my son was now in trouble for not saying anything. I have always raised my kids not to snitch as we learned young that snitches end up in ditches...I have also raised my kids the same way. So to snitch on something that wasn't life threating was not an option in his mind. Then I find out that the police where called and interigated my son without my consent or any other adult present. When I asked why I wasn't notified I was told I didn't have to be notified cause he was over the age of 8!! I can not believe this...adults have the right to an attorney when being questioned but not a child!! I am Not saying that whatever part my son played in this is right...cause I am the first to say what did my son do now. But at the same time I believe my son should have had a parent present. I am beyond mad at the school and police for this. Needless to say we are now talking about homeschooling all our kids since I now know my kids are not safe at school.

What do you think?? Am I over reacting??
by on May. 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I have to cry BULLSH*T!!! 

Most 8yo kids are WAY smarter than they are given credit for! 

DH is an LAPD officer, and I have worked in boy Scouts for over 11 years with kids of all ages and differing developmental delays.  Most kids are able to discern right and wrong and know the "rules' by 8 yo!! 

Quoting 21lisa

Quoting Babygi:

That's horrible an 8yo has no understanding of this stuff!

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

daisykat
by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Why would you be disappointed with your son? You're the one who told him snitches lie in ditches, right? That is about the most idiotic thing you can teach to a kid. Anyway, I would consult a lawyer to see if his civil rights were violated. If he's in trouble as a result of what he told the police, then he should have been read his Miranda rights. This whole thing is ridiculous, start to finish. Once again, consult an attorney. The first visit is usually free and they will tell you if your concerns are valid.

And ONCE AGAIN, lose the whole "snitching" thing. If it's something that could potentially hurt another person, you're an dickhead if you don't let someone in authority know. I'd rather be a snitch than have someone's pain and suffering on my conscience.
Mandy575
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Different states see it differently. My son was just attacked at school by another child and when I called the cops they told me 12 was to young to press assault charges on because they don't know right from wrong!!! My son was AMBULANCED to the hospital with a concussion!!! My son did nothing to provoke the kid either and that was proven!!! The school just made an incident report!!!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I have to cry BULLSH*T!!! 

Most 8yo kids are WAY smarter than they are given credit for! 

DH is an LAPD officer, and I have worked in boy Scouts for over 11 years with kids of all ages and differing developmental delays.  Most kids are able to discern right and wrong and know the "rules' by 8 yo!! 

Quoting 21lisa

Quoting Babygi:

That's horrible an 8yo has no understanding of this stuff!

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Yep to the first question. If "snitches end up in ditches" where you are, you're in the wrong place. 

As to the second, there's a court case pending in my town regarding an autistic high schooler who got swept up in a drug sting. The parents were not called for his questioning. Long complicated story but the short version is the kid was just doing whatever the undercover cop asked of him, not knowing it was a sting. The parents have engaged a lawyer.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Where the hell do you live that #1 you tell your kids not to tell on people for fear of their lives and #2 that they question children without an adult?? 

My kids know 100% to tell an adult ALWAYS.  You always tell the truth and be forthcoming to any adult. 

Babygi
by on May. 23, 2013 at 1:53 AM
I am dissapointed in my son as I told him months ago to stop hanging out with those kids. I will be contacting a lawyer first thing in the morning. As for the snitching I will continue to teach my kids that as it is a way of life for us....unless it will cause harm to others as I said in my original post. I will be damned if my kids will be known as snitches!!!

Quoting daisykat:

Why would you be disappointed with your son? You're the one who told him snitches lie in ditches, right? That is about the most idiotic thing you can teach to a kid. Anyway, I would consult a lawyer to see if his civil rights were violated. If he's in trouble as a result of what he told the police, then he should have been read his Miranda rights. This whole thing is ridiculous, start to finish. Once again, consult an attorney. The first visit is usually free and they will tell you if your concerns are valid.

And ONCE AGAIN, lose the whole "snitching" thing. If it's something that could potentially hurt another person, you're an dickhead if you don't let someone in authority know. I'd rather be a snitch than have someone's pain and suffering on my conscience.

Babygi
by on May. 23, 2013 at 1:57 AM
We live in Las Vegas. It's not the best place to raise kids but it's home.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Where the hell do you live that #1 you tell your kids not to tell on people for fear of their lives and #2 that they question children without an adult?? 

My kids know 100% to tell an adult ALWAYS.  You always tell the truth and be forthcoming to any adult. 

nissadawn
by on May. 23, 2013 at 2:54 AM

this is basically how it works as far as polic with children...if the child is the suspect he can not be question without a parent....if he is being questioned as a whitness (unless its a serious crime) then no they do not have to have a parent present....though the loop hole is if the child refuses to speak to them without a parent present then they have to contact a parent

With that said for future reference let your children know if they are uncomfortable in talking to a polic officer to request for you to be present 

Ewa101
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Not at all.  Our children have a right to our presence when questioned by police, and if the parent cannot be present, the school should have someone represent the child's interest.  Right now, I see it as two different issues: one not telling the school authorities (personally I am on the side of your son; perhaps he should have shared the knowledge of his friend's behavior with you), the other issue is being interrogated without you present.  I would be livid.  There is a lot of police abuse going on, and what right do they have to talk to anyone without an attorney present?  I think, I would contact your local politician to prevent it from happening to anyone else.   Also, I would try to see if this whole incident could be expunged from your son's records.

jthompson1976
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:37 AM
I dont think he eould be old enough to be question w out you. I had takev14 year old court they told me I had speack for him unless I was ok with it
daisykat
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Quoting Babygi:

Look, I understand the whole "not snitching" thing. And I don't want to get hung up on it because I know it's not what you asked advice for. I've lived in shit neighborhoods. I've been incarcerated. I know snitching can get you treated like the plague or even killed. I think, though, it's time for the Moms of every community to say ENOUGH and stop letting the thugs, drug dealers and little gang-bangers call the shots.

As for your son, yeah, he was treated unfairly. Him getting into hot water for someone else's boneheaded decision is bs and you need to consult an attorney as soon as possible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN