Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I can't believe this is legal!!

Posted by   + Show Post
I got a call from my son school today at 11am. I was told my son was being RPCed for drugs. I totally flipped out and went to the school to see what was going on. Come to find out my sons friend is the one who said he had drugs to sell "it turned out to be sugar" and since my some knew he had it my son was now in trouble for not saying anything. I have always raised my kids not to snitch as we learned young that snitches end up in ditches...I have also raised my kids the same way. So to snitch on something that wasn't life threating was not an option in his mind. Then I find out that the police where called and interigated my son without my consent or any other adult present. When I asked why I wasn't notified I was told I didn't have to be notified cause he was over the age of 8!! I can not believe this...adults have the right to an attorney when being questioned but not a child!! I am Not saying that whatever part my son played in this is right...cause I am the first to say what did my son do now. But at the same time I believe my son should have had a parent present. I am beyond mad at the school and police for this. Needless to say we are now talking about homeschooling all our kids since I now know my kids are not safe at school.

What do you think?? Am I over reacting??
by on May. 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
PurpleHazey
by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Yes indeed, my 13 year old was just kicked out of school for three days because her friend had her purse in my daughters locker and it had some IB's in it, her friend gave her friend a IB for cramps and another girl told on her so when Paiges friend was asked what she gave her friend she told them it was an IB and then they asked her where she had it at and she told them my purse is in Paiges locker because it was lose to her class. The girl who had the IB was kicked out for 10 days, the girl who also took the IB was kicked out for 5 days, and Paige 3 days. Not happy about it but rules are rules.

momma_2013
by on May. 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM
i would be calling a lawer!! that dobt sound right
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wodntulk2kno1
by on May. 23, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Yea.. That is something I would be looking into if I was the op.
if it were my kids I sure would want to be there if they were questioned by the police.

Quoting Barabell:

The laws regarding this are different for different jurisdictions. I'm sure a local lawyer or child advocate in the OP's area would know immediately if her son's rights were violated or not.

Quoting wodntulk2kno1:

I thought an adult had to be present when questioned by the police unless it is abuse or of that nature.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I grew up in Phoenix, and we moved from AZ when my son was 5. So I do know what some areas are like. It's not a true saying for where we live now, but I was fully aware that for some areas, it is a very true saying. So even though I think it's a horrible thing to teach your kids, I didn't want to bash you for it because it's a necessary thing to know in some communities.

Quoting Babygi:

We live in Las Vegas. It's not the best place to raise kids but it's home.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Where the hell do you live that #1 you tell your kids not to tell on people for fear of their lives and #2 that they question children without an adult?? 

My kids know 100% to tell an adult ALWAYS.  You always tell the truth and be forthcoming to any adult. 

MonkeysGrammy
by on May. 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Ok I can see why you are upset, but as a parent of "older" kids you seriously cannot say it was over nothing "life threatening". They THOUGHT & were TOLD it was drugs. How was anyone else to know it was just sugar if no one said anything? And what if "as a joke" they gave some to a kid who was diabetic? Seriously? There is a HUGE difference (imo) between snitchin to be an ass, and telling the truth about some one who IS an ass. You never teach your kids to protect a fool. And look into if they asked to talk to him before a parent got there (just like miranda rights with your right to remain silent). If he asked for a parent and was denied that is illegal (at least in most states).

Bonez 8-3-91 Bear 4-13-94 Stinky 9-26-97
kissing dad       bear with heart      ninja

Babygi
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Sorry I haven't responded sooner but I have been talking to lawyers and also the school as my son will not finish the year.

Come to find out from all the lawyers I talked to it is legal to talk to my child without my knowing unless he requests my presence. So my kids all know that if this ever happens again that the are to ask for me or dad and then to shut up until we get there.

As for the school we have made arrangements for my son to take his finals as he will not return to that school ever again. Thankfully he will be in high school next year and never have to set foot in that school again.

Quoting wodntulk2kno1:

Yea.. That is something I would be looking into if I was the op.

if it were my kids I sure would want to be there if they were questioned by the police.

Quoting Barabell:

The laws regarding this are different for different jurisdictions. I'm sure a local lawyer or child advocate in the OP's area would know immediately if her son's rights were violated or not.

Quoting wodntulk2kno1:

I thought an adult had to be present when questioned by the police unless it is abuse or of that nature.

karisma22
by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't think that police are supposed to talk to a child without parents or another responsible adult is present, ie; attorney.

lazyd
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I dont care that they interrogated your son at the age of 8.  Its SAD that you have raised your kids "that snitches end up in ditches".  SO SAD.  So your kid witnesses someone get shot, they wouldnt speak up cuz they dont want to be labeled a "snitch", so some murderer walks around free????  Or a real drug deal is witnessed by your kids or some kid is beat up and bullied and your kids dont speak up - allowing the bullies to walk around and continue to bully???  The sugar could have been real drugs and could have hurt or killed some innocent 8 year old including your son - but thats ok cuz your kids are not "snitches"???  

lazyd
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Okay i miss understood about the age?  You said cops can talk to any kid over the age of 8.  So how old is your son??  What i said above still applies tho - I really dont care how old a child is - not "snitching" is what is allowing are bullies/drug dealers/murders get off scott free!!

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 1:30 AM

It's not home if you're living in fear to report when bad things happen in your school or neighborhood. It's just a place where you exist. I think I'd rather be in a ditch than be living in fear.

Quoting Babygi:

We live in Las Vegas. It's not the best place to raise kids but it's home.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Where the hell do you live that #1 you tell your kids not to tell on people for fear of their lives and #2 that they question children without an adult?? 

My kids know 100% to tell an adult ALWAYS.  You always tell the truth and be forthcoming to any adult. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN