Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't believe this is legal!!

Posted by   + Show Post
I got a call from my son school today at 11am. I was told my son was being RPCed for drugs. I totally flipped out and went to the school to see what was going on. Come to find out my sons friend is the one who said he had drugs to sell "it turned out to be sugar" and since my some knew he had it my son was now in trouble for not saying anything. I have always raised my kids not to snitch as we learned young that snitches end up in ditches...I have also raised my kids the same way. So to snitch on something that wasn't life threating was not an option in his mind. Then I find out that the police where called and interigated my son without my consent or any other adult present. When I asked why I wasn't notified I was told I didn't have to be notified cause he was over the age of 8!! I can not believe this...adults have the right to an attorney when being questioned but not a child!! I am Not saying that whatever part my son played in this is right...cause I am the first to say what did my son do now. But at the same time I believe my son should have had a parent present. I am beyond mad at the school and police for this. Needless to say we are now talking about homeschooling all our kids since I now know my kids are not safe at school.

What do you think?? Am I over reacting??
by on May. 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
jacquih1126
by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:20 AM

That is ridiculous. A child is a minor, 18 years and under. I would contact your district and your state's dept of education and ask to see that policy in writing and THEN contact an attorney.

Babygi
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:21 AM
To you may not be a home but to us it is. I will never understand how someone would rather be dead then to live...but hey to each their own.

Quoting gdiamante:It's not home if you're living in fear to report when bad things happen in your school or neighborhood. It's just a place where you exist. I think I'd rather be in a ditch than be living in fear.Quoting Babygi:We live in Las Vegas. It's not the best place to raise kids but it's home.

Quoting fullxbusymom:Where the hell do you live that #1 you tell your kids not to tell on people for fear of their lives and #2 that they question children without an adult??  My kids know 100% to tell an adult ALWAYS.  You always tell the truth and be forthcoming to any adult. 
Babygi
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM
First my son is 14 not 8. Second I said nothing life threatening...my kids know that if they witness a rape/murder they are to call 911 or if they are to scared to let us know and we will take care of it. As for drugs in our area you keep you mouth shut...not worth my child's life. As for the bullying...no my son would not snitch but he is the first to jump in and defend the kids that is being bullied. My son knows when to pick his battles cause sad but true where we live now somethings just are not worth your life.

Quoting lazyd:

I dont care that they interrogated your son at the age of 8.  Its SAD that you have raised your kids "that snitches end up in ditches".  SO SAD.  So your kid witnesses someone get shot, they wouldnt speak up cuz they dont want to be labeled a "snitch", so some murderer walks around free????  Or a real drug deal is witnessed by your kids or some kid is beat up and bullied and your kids dont speak up - allowing the bullies to walk around and continue to bully???  The sugar could have been real drugs and could have hurt or killed some innocent 8 year old including your son - but thats ok cuz your kids are not "snitches"???  

Babygi
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Thank you. I wish I didn't have to teach my kids that saying but it is a part of life for us. I have been trying to move for awhile now but it is easier said then done. We are meeting with a reality office this week to see what we need to do to buy a house in a better area.

Quoting Barabell:

I grew up in Phoenix, and we moved from AZ when my son was 5. So I do know what some areas are like. It's not a true saying for where we live now, but I was fully aware that for some areas, it is a very true saying. So even though I think it's a horrible thing to teach your kids, I didn't want to bash you for it because it's a necessary thing to know in some communities.

Quoting Babygi:

We live in Las Vegas. It's not the best place to raise kids but it's home.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Where the hell do you live that #1 you tell your kids not to tell on people for fear of their lives and #2 that they question children without an adult?? 

My kids know 100% to tell an adult ALWAYS.  You always tell the truth and be forthcoming to any adult. 

1gettingbetter
by New Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Hi, sorry for my ignorance, but what is RPCed?

Sadly, yes the police can question your kids without your presence unless they ask for their parents or an attorney.  They don't have the same rights as adults.  And adults are only read their rights when charged.  It takes a pretty forceful kid to stand up to the police and refuse to say anything and demand their rights.  I went throught this with my older son.

I haven't taught my kids "snitches end up in ditches" but I have taught them to walk a fine line with the gang kids.  Don't become friends with them, but don't antagonize them.  And mind your own business unless someone is going to get hurt.

Good luck with your siutation

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Good luck! We actually moved to another state, but it was not cheap. I'm very happy that we've moved though because my whole family is happier here than where we lived before. I hope you're successful in getting into a better neighborhood.

Quoting Babygi:

Thank you. I wish I didn't have to teach my kids that saying but it is a part of life for us. I have been trying to move for awhile now but it is easier said then done. We are meeting with a reality office this week to see what we need to do to buy a house in a better area.

Quoting Barabell:

I grew up in Phoenix, and we moved from AZ when my son was 5. So I do know what some areas are like. It's not a true saying for where we live now, but I was fully aware that for some areas, it is a very true saying. So even though I think it's a horrible thing to teach your kids, I didn't want to bash you for it because it's a necessary thing to know in some communities.

Quoting Babygi:

We live in Las Vegas. It's not the best place to raise kids but it's home.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Where the hell do you live that #1 you tell your kids not to tell on people for fear of their lives and #2 that they question children without an adult?? 

My kids know 100% to tell an adult ALWAYS.  You always tell the truth and be forthcoming to any adult. 

Babygi
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM
RPC is Required Parent Conference with the Principle/Dean/Vice Principle

Quoting 1gettingbetter:

Hi, sorry for my ignorance, but what is RPCed?

Sadly, yes the police can question your kids without your presence unless they ask for their parents or an attorney.  They don't have the same rights as adults.  And adults are only read their rights when charged.  It takes a pretty forceful kid to stand up to the police and refuse to say anything and demand their rights.  I went throught this with my older son.

I haven't taught my kids "snitches end up in ditches" but I have taught them to walk a fine line with the gang kids.  Don't become friends with them, but don't antagonize them.  And mind your own business unless someone is going to get hurt.

Good luck with your siutation

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Living in fear IS death. It's not living at all.

To you may not be a home but to us it is. I will never understand how someone would rather be dead then to live...but hey to each their own.

Quoting gdiamante:It's not home if you're living in fear to report when bad things happen in your school or neighborhood. It's just a place where you exist. I think I'd rather be in a ditch than be living in fear.Quoting Babygi:We live in Las Vegas. It's not the best place to raise kids but it's home. 
Babygi
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM
You keep saying that I live in fear...I don't recall ever saying we lived in fear. My kids are very happy and are always outside without me.

Quoting gdiamante:

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM

We'll have to disagree on that; to me being afraid to report bad guys for ANY bad deed including drugs is living in fear. I understand you see it differently and I'll respect that.

Quoting Babygi:

You keep saying that I live in fear...I don't recall ever saying we lived in fear. My kids are very happy and are always outside without me.
Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)