Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I cannot stand her best friend.....

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 4 Replies

My 13 year old daughter has a "best friend" that she adores, almost worships.  We cannot stand when she hangs out with her.  Her friend has a nasty attitude, not that respectful and very bossy and demanding.  This brings out the WORST in my daughter so much so that you can tell exactly who she was with that day.  I have talked to her 100 times about parts of her friend's personality rubbing off on her but she doesn't quite absorb it.  It gets to the point where I want to tell her not to hang with this girl.  Not sure the best way to handle that for either one of us.  Any suggestions??

by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MJP76
by on May. 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah. I've always told my kids they can hang out with whomever they choose as long as their friends don't "rub off on them" I've told them that if I ever saw this happen, they wouldn't be able to hang out with that person any more. I've never had to "ground them" from their friends.

nikkichris612
by on May. 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I said the same thing.  This is the first I have ever seen a friend negatively influence her.  I would rather her not spend time with her, but I also hate to put that rift between us.  But then I remind myself I am her mother, not her friend.  Ugh....teenagers.

Quoting MJP76:

Yeah. I've always told my kids they can hang out with whomever they choose as long as their friends don't "rub off on them" I've told them that if I ever saw this happen, they wouldn't be able to hang out with that person any more. I've never had to "ground them" from their friends.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Keep reminding and keep talking, in most cases the kids do seperate, your DD will start to see it and get tired of it as she matures.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Everytime she sounds like her BF, call her by that name.      My Mom used to do that to me if I started sounding like my sister...  she would say" Thank you, J___, but I thought I was talking to K___.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN