Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My son's poop is too big to flush down the toilet!!

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 19 Replies

We have been having a problem with the size of my son's bowel movements for some time. Does anyone else have this problem? Have you found a solution? He has been under the care of a gastroentrologist since childhood for severe constipation and takes medication. I think maybe his colon was stretched from it.

by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmother5946
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Have you mentioned this to his fictir? Does he take any form of stool softener? Miralax can be taken everyday.
You could have him flush the toilet partway through the bowl movement to help it go down. or break it up with the bowl plunger.
mommersx4
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Thanks, he has been taking Miralax since age 2. Without that he didn't go at all. He wasn't potty trained untill almost 6. This is a problem the gastro doesn't even want to hear:(

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on May. 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I had to answer you on this one. I have a 14 year old son that was on Miralax for years, starting at 3 years old. when we first tried to potty train him, at about 3 (yes, we waited a long time to start because he just didn't seem ready). He would pee on the potty just fine, but he would NOT poop on the potty. He ended up holding it in for a long time, enemas wouldn't even work and so he had to get manually dug out at the childrens ER, per his pediatricians request. Starting that night, he was on Miralax for years. He had what I call big S"skid marks" in his undies until he was 8, yes 8! I thought he would never get potty trained completely. Now, he doesn't poop everyday like it seems he should, it's like every other day, and it clogs up the toilet almost every single time. AND, it reeks to high heaven, making me think he still somewhat holds it in. His dr. used to say when he was younger that his poop smelled so bad because it had been in him so long. i know what you go through mama. i don't know what to do about it either.

Quoting mommersx4:

Thanks, he has been taking Miralax since age 2. Without that he didn't go at all. He wasn't potty trained untill almost 6. This is a problem the gastro doesn't even want to hear:(

rainskysmom
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:57 PM
My 13 yr old daughter has the same problem. Almost every time she goes she clogs up the toilet. They're just abnormally large!!!
TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I actually had this conversation with my plumber a few years ago.  I installed a ToTo toilet because it has the largest trap, hoping that would solve the problem.  What did solve the problem was him getting older, eating well with lots of raw fruit and veggies, and going daily.    It's a process with some kids.  Make sure his diet is such that he can't help going. 

And yeah...gross, I know....but as another poster mentioned, sometimes you just HAVE to break it up.

Momofmenagerie
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:43 AM
No, no.... My 13 yr old is perfectly capable of taking care of clogs he makes. He's been taught how to use the plunger to unstop AND HOW to break it up. No mother should have to plunge, " break up" or " finger dig" when the label " teen" is used in describing age. Sorry, all poop job besides my own are taken care of by the culprit so to speak. We stop wiping their asses somewhere.... And stop being root-rooter as well.

Quoting TranquilMind:

I actually had this conversation with my plumber a few years ago.  I installed a ToTo toilet because it has the largest trap, hoping that would solve the problem.  What did solve the problem was him getting older, eating well with lots of raw fruit and veggies, and going daily.    It's a process with some kids.  Make sure his diet is such that he can't help going. 

And yeah...gross, I know....but as another poster mentioned, sometimes you just HAVE to break it up.

Momofmenagerie
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM
I agree, natural high fiber diet ( even three apples daily ( or Simply Apple, apple juice helps insanely well. As does steamed kale, lettuce ( but iceberg ) mixed into salads and other leafy greens. When you get the whine, ask which hurts worse? Going to the bathroom or apples and salads? And, as adults know, well... Coffee makes a " morning constitutional" way way easier.
So the miralax plus natural fiber and a morning cup of joe, no matter how much flavored creamer it takes, will help, eventually, with a better diet... He may be able to forgo the Miralax. Good luck! And it is now his job to make sure his mess goes down now. There are certain things we just have to teach and leave it to them, you thing a roommate in college would put up with a clogged toilet because you've always done it? Uh uh! It's his job, now.
TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Oh, sorry...for some reason I thought I responded to someone with a young child. The OP said something about the kid being two..and then six.  I assumed he wasn't a lot older, I guess.   My mistake.  Mine was very young when it was happening, also and when we got that ToTo toilet that I thought would really help.  And by "you" breaking it up, I meant the one in the bathroom, whomever that might be (assuming old enough). 

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

No, no.... My 13 yr old is perfectly capable of taking care of clogs he makes. He's been taught how to use the plunger to unstop AND HOW to break it up. No mother should have to plunge, " break up" or " finger dig" when the label " teen" is used in describing age. Sorry, all poop job besides my own are taken care of by the culprit so to speak. We stop wiping their asses somewhere.... And stop being root-rooter as well.

Quoting TranquilMind:

suesues
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Fiber I have a friend with a son same problem always goes then flush then wipe

browneyedbitty
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM
My 16 year old has this issue. I taught him how to plunge...lol. Hr brags about the size of his poo sometimes...nasty boy...smh. He doesnt have an fissures or pain, I guess just a teen boy with a fast metabolism.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)