Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My son's poop is too big to flush down the toilet!!

Posted by   + Show Post

We have been having a problem with the size of my son's bowel movements for some time. Does anyone else have this problem? Have you found a solution? He has been under the care of a gastroentrologist since childhood for severe constipation and takes medication. I think maybe his colon was stretched from it.

by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
JenniferLeighLu
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Yeah my son had the same thing.  He is almost 16 now.  It was going on the last couple years.  In the last six months, it has gotten normal.  I think one poster was right.  His diet is better.  And he drinks more water and juice opposed to soft drinks.  He was so proud of what he produced.  He wasn't holding it in.  It happened almost every day.  He was slow to potty train as well.  He peed fine.  When he was 3, he said it was a snake (then a bear).  And when it came out it would kill him.  Well, a Thomas the Tank Engine railroad set solved that problem.  Once he got rewarded with that..he always used the potty.  

Anyway, back to the size issue, I think it is like a hormonal and body changing problem.  I bet it will take care of itself.  I'm real famililar with colon problems.  I had mine removed five years ago.  So, I know all about Miralax, etc.  Good luck!

GrammaJane46
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM

ANY hot drink in the morning will help the process along.  Cocoa or tea or hot apple cider.  It's part of the body's natural processes.

mommersx4
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM

thanks everyone, great ideas. This has to be a problem he takes care of. I don't even want to see it anymore!!

PurpleHazey
by on May. 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I have not had this with any of my kids.

mt0130
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:44 AM

My son clogs the toilet on occasion, but he knows how to use the plunger so he can unclog it too! I'm not sure if miralax has a stool softner in it, but if not have you tried giving him a softner as well as the miralax, maybe that would make the stool not as hard to flush. Just a thought.

mommersx4
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Thanks! I'll ask his doctor if I can add a stool softener. The problem it won't even go down with a plunger. I bought him one when he was little, so he could be like the plumber!  But, the hardness of it may be the reason it won't go down.

Mariela2468
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Hi Mommers!

As a Nurse in an adolescent medical practice I have rarely heard of a colon being stretched by chronic constipation.  However, in a daily basis I do deal with parents of teens with constiátion problems.  We define ¨constipated¨ as not having a (decent) BM in 4 days.  How old is your son?  First, if he is a soda drinker, have him lay off colas and that type of soda.  Caffeine dehydrates the system, and have him drink lots of water and fruit juices.  This can help rehydrate the colon.  The solution (no pun intended) for most of these teens if oral rehydration hasn´t help is nothing more than a good old fashioned enema (Fleets or Soap and Water) once per week.  While some say that an old fashioned soapsudsenema further dehydrates the colon, I and others tend to believe that it is the quickest and fatest way to eliminate the problem and bring comfort.  Kids (and most adults I know!) cringe at the sound of the word, but, most kids are greatful for how they feel afterward, mine included!  Give this a try and let me know ummmm ¨the outcome¨.

mommersx4
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM

He had a lower GI and has mega colon. It showed he has a slow peristalsis.  I am going to limit the sodas and push that juice and water even more! He has had an enama in the hospital, I wonder if he would do it it he is very uncomfortable. Thanks for everyones help.

acook0331
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM
My 12 year old and 6 year old both clog the toilet everytime they poop.
Amandapreg1
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Good lord take a picture

Quoting rainskysmom: My 13 yr old daughter has the same problem. Almost every time she goes she clogs up the toilet. They're just abnormally large!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN