Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I'm THAT Mom...

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

You know the one.. The one that all the neighborhood kids flock to. The one that always has snacks and drinks to feed a small army. The one that always says its ok to stay for dinner "as long as its ok with your parents." Thats me.
I love having a houseful of kids. I love hearing them giggling and all talking at once and whispering so I can't hear who likes who and who broke up and "Omg I can't believe she said that."
 I feel honored that they feel like that can confide in me things they don't feel they can confide in their own parents. I do my best to give them the advice that I would hope someone would give my daughters. Even if that advice is"You really need to talk to your parents about this." Sometimes I think that is all they need, is a shove in the right direction from someone they trust.

What I want to know is.. What do other Moms think? For the most part, I have never run into any issues with other parents.  Is it ok with you that maybe your teen has another adult that they trust? That they open up to?

For the record, my daughters and I talk about everything but I also know they talk to their respective best friends Mom about stuff and I am ok with it. I appreciate that they love my girls enough to be there for them.

by on May. 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
02nana07
by Ida on May. 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is great and the parents should appreciate it.  It is usually talk to someone elses parent since they can advise without punishing you LOL

proudmother5946
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
That's great. Kids need a place to feel safe. My brother had a friend in high school who always confided in my mom. His mom was an alcoholic and he couldn't talk to her. So anytime he had an issue he came to mom. She started calling him her third son.
My dd talks to my ex sil, her aunt. Sil is a very calm person and a good shoulder to lean on. I trust her to steer dd in the right direction.
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I am the exact same way.  I am already starting to store up on extra food for the ensuing summer and onslaught of children lol.  My Dh and I say we don't mind at all and love the chaos.  My husband is a major computer geek and dedicated metalhead.  He sets up one of the laptops connected to an amplifier outside for the kids to be able to  listen to music.  I am the "go to" Mom of my children's friends for advice, food and even hugs.  They all know we have hard fast rules here.  No alcohol, no drugs, no tobacco allowed.  Be respectful of others and of our home. 

metalmomma86
by on May. 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I have rules that they must follow too.Same thing, no booze, no drugs and no tobacco and no sex. I don't care if there are boys here but there is no going off alone. I also have started stockpiling things for the Summer. I actually am looking forward to it.
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 23, 2013 at 4:01 PM

My son doesn't have a lot of neighborhood friends. I don't have any opinion since the situation you described above doesn't happen. My son is an only child, and he has a lot of long time friends. He's always been comfortable talking to other adults, especially his friend's parents. But it's still not quite the relationship you're describing above.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I always had kids around, never bothered me, and it never bothered me if my kids talked to other parents either. However, I had one friend that my kids knew they could go to with anything, and I trusted her 100%. She's more conservative then me so I never worried about her steering them the wrong way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)