Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Student suicide may spur similar thoughts in teens

Posted by   + Show Post

Student suicide may spur similar thoughts in teens

Updated: May 21, 2013 03:01 PM EDT

TUESDAY, May 21 (HealthDay News) -- When a classmate commits suicide, teens are more likely to consider or attempt suicide themselves, according to a new study. This "suicide contagion" occurs regardless of whether the teens knew the deceased student personally, the researchers found.

Teens aged 12 and 13 are particularly vulnerable, according to the study by Dr. Ian Colman, Canada Research Chair in Mental Health Epidemiology, and Sonja Swanson, of the Harvard School of Public Health. The study appeared May 21 in the CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal).

Since the effects of exposure to suicide can linger for two years or more, the researchers said, the study findings have implications for suicide-prevention strategies.

"We found that exposure to suicide predicts suicidality. This was true for all age groups, although exposure to suicide increased the risk most dramatically in the youngest age group, when baseline suicidality was relatively low," the researchers wrote. "Perhaps any exposure to a peer's suicide is relevant, regardless of the proximity to the [deceased person]. It may be best for [post-suicide] strategies to include all students rather than targeting close friends."

In conducting the study, the researchers examined data on more than 22,000 teens aged 12 to 17 from a Canadian national survey of children and youth.

Students aged 14 and 15 exposed to a classmate's suicide were almost three times as likely to have suicidal thoughts. Those aged 16 and 17 were twice as likely to contemplate suicide. By this age, the researchers found, nearly one-quarter of teens had a classmate commit suicide and 20 percent knew someone personally who took their own life.

The effects of the suicide contagion, however, were strongest among younger students. The study found that 12- and 13-year-olds exposed to suicide were five times more likely to have suicidal thoughts. Among these younger students, nearly 8 percent also attempted suicide after a classmate's suicide, compared with about 2 percent not exposed to the suicide of a peer.

"Our findings support school- or community-wide interventions over strategies targeting those who personally knew the [deceased person]," the researchers said. "Allocating resources following an event may be especially important during earlier adolescence, and schools and communities should be aware of an increased risk for at least two years following a suicide event."

Dr. India Bohanna, of the School of Public Health at James Cook University in Queensland, Australia, wrote in a commentary accompanying the study in the CMAJ that the study "provides convincing evidence that, among young people, exposure to suicide is a risk factor for future suicidal behavior. This is extremely important because it tells us that everyone who is exposed to suicide should be considered when [post-suicide] strategies are developed."

More information

Visit the American Psychological Association to learn more about teen suicide.

http://lifestyle.kstp.com/Global/story.asp?S=22330511&nav=menu1346_4

by on May. 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Replies (11-12):
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Quoting daisykat:

Quoting Barabell:

Are you kidding? I'd totally buy them. BTW, did you know that every December MOA has a promotion that for every $500 worth of receipts you collect, you get an unlimited ride wristband for Nickelodeon Universe. Even if you just pay your cell phone bill there, anything. My sister-in-law stopped at an Asian restaurant in the food court and they had a basket of receipts and she asked if she could have them. She got 8 wristbands for free. Of course, she's also one of these extreme couponers and she says she's going to teach me how to do it. One time I went to Walmart with her and with the coupons she pulled out, I ended up spending only $18 on almost $100 worth of stuff.

I used to work at Pazzaluna, right behind the St. Paul Hotel. Yeah, I don't miss the drive. I don't know how the hubby does it. He has a company car, which helps.

I didn't know that! I don't shop there often, but I might shop there instead of Rosedale or someplace else if I can get free wristbands for items that are the same value anyhow. Very cool. Thanks!!

Here's the link to the deal: http://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/Minneapolis/Other/53301?utm_source=localdeal_us&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1480478_html_minneapolis

I know exactly where Pazzaluna is, even though I haven't eaten there yet. I've been to Sakura's and Great Waters before though. Is Pazzaluna's good? I've heard they're pricy, so I just haven't considered eating there.

daisykat
by on May. 25, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Quoting Barabell:

Thank you for the link! I will use it and the boys will enjoy it very much.
Pazzaluna is pretty expensive, yeah. But the food is fabulous. The chef there was one of the chefs at Prince Charles and Princess Diana's wedding, and he was also one of the chefs for Pope John Paul (forgot which number, sorry Catholics) and he's great. The restaurant is beautiful, too. You really should try it out some night, at least sit in the bar and have a drink and some antipasti.

The problem for me was the upper management. It was a long standing joke that the manager's motto for the women servers was "Lipstick mandatory, bras optional." They actually made it a rule that the women HAD to wear makeup, but that rule was quickly dissolved by the union representative. It's not a strip club, for pete's sake.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)