Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice on my defiant teen daughter please!

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 3 Replies

My daughter turned 16 in February, and while we have hit bumps in the road here and there throughout her life, our relationship (or so I thought) was always VERY close and loving. Within the last month or so, things have just rapidly declined to awful. She lies to me constantly about almost everything, gets home late, and is being very rude. Now, she started dating a boy who is almost 18 at about the same time that the problems started, so I assume there is some connection. I am just at a complete loss (and totally emotionally drained) on how to deal with all of this. I have tried punishments, I have tried compromise, nothing seems to get through to her anymore! I'm a single mom and this is all so challenging. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated! 

by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Write down thew house rules. Write down the rewards for following them and the rewards for breaking or ignoring them. Then follow through. Invite that new BF over weekly. get to know him better.Make sure she is either working, playing sports, going to music or arts classes, or volunteering this summer. She needs to be kept busy.

vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I agree with the previous post but I would tweak things a little.  I too have experienced a defiant teen.  We sat down together to discuss expectaions and house rules.  Invite the new boyfriend over for dinner or for a bbq on the weekend.  I know it is hard but make every attempt to get to know this young man and to include him whenever possible.  Even if you do not care for him, include him and do not let on that you don't like him.  This will only push them closer together.  Good Luck

drfink
by Emily on May. 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Write down thew house rules. Write down the rewards for following them and the rewards for breaking or ignoring them. Then follow through. Invite that new BF over weekly. get to know him better.Make sure she is either working, playing sports, going to music or arts classes, or volunteering this summer. She needs to be kept busy.

Great advice.Make several copies and after going over them with her put one on the inside of her closet door or other inconspicuous place and one for her drawer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)