Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

allowance

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:09 PM
  • 22 Replies
What chores do teenagers have and what is the average allowance?
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM
I'm cheap...allowance here is $5 a week.

Things like cleaning your room, setting/clearing the table, helping with groceries, (everyone eats so helps with food stuff) are responsibilities I don't pay for. Each child is responsible for sorting and putting away their laundry.

What I DO pay for are things I believe are my job as a SAHM. He gets 50c for each time loading/unloading the dishwasher, taking out the trash, etc. He also gets paid for cleaning up dog poo because the dog was bought specifically as my companion for a competition sport involving obedience training and personal protection. It is not the standard family pet.
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on May. 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I don't know that there is an average allowance.  It depends a lot on what the teen is expected to use allowance for.    My guys received about $50 - $75 per month.   That was 'mad money' for them to use for entertainment and such.     

My sons were responsible to cleaning their shared bathroom, unloading the dishwasher, mowing the lawn, folding towels, and vacuuming/sweeping.   

Basicrose
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Depending on the age...they can get a job. I dont believe in paying a kid to do things that, as part of the famiy, should be done. After age 15-16, they can get a job.
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM

We don't give allowance for chores.  They have set responsibilites around the house they are expected to help with.  If they want to earn money (none of them are old enough for part time jobs just yet) then we have them do extra work.  That being said if they want something that is reasonably priced and it's not going to break the budget we do our best to get it for them.  They are really good kids that work hard in school and are usually very helpful whenever asked so they know if it is reasonable we will do for them if we can.

drfink
by Emily on May. 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine participate in helping with the household because they are members of the household.Don't and privliges..phone ,Ipads ,going out will be put on hold depending what they didn't do.

We do give an allowance starting in K.This is to help them learn to budget and spend wisely.The amount and what they are expected to spend it on escalates a bit each year as they get older.There is a large jump in 7th grade.At that point they are old enough to set up a daytime movie trip with friends so their allowance is to cover those expenses and some to save for itune cards ,games etc.When they are old enough to date ,drive etc more money ,more being responsible with what it is spent on.All of mine worked in the summers or volunteered once they turned 16.

Our oldest graduated from college with more than 5000 in savings .He has zero debt other than his mortgage ,owns two cars and a boat and significant savings ...he is 28.Our daughter is a senior B.S.N. major ,she also will graduate with savings and our teens both have money saved.This is how both my husband and I were raised and learning to budget and save has really served us well.

This works for us.How much would be based on what you can afford to some extent...no matter what I can afford there would be a limit on how much allowance they might receive.

jojo_star
by on May. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM

They have set chores, laundry, vacuuming, trash, dishes, cooking for the older two, that they are expected to do. Their allowance is $35 a week, but if they need something extra, we'll give it to them, provided they've not done anything to not deserve it.  We pay for all their needs, phone, gas and insurance for our oldest child's car, clothes, etc, so their allowance is strictly for whatever they want. 

Ak907localsnob
by on May. 25, 2013 at 3:00 AM
I use the money smart system a book written by the economides 'cheapest family in America' my kids love the system and feel that it is honest and fair... We started a few months ago...
MJP76
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM

DD about to turn 16 gets 20.00 a week.

for cleaning her room, cleaning her bathroom and the 3rd bathroom, dusting the entire house, mowing the lawn, and anything else I see fit to have her do.

Lorena
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
We do not pay to have chores done. They do them because they are part of the family. We do however pay if you go above and beyond. They get.$20 if they mow the lawn, $3 per hr for baby sitting. The younger ones get paid .10 a weed they pull from the garden. We have also been knowen to pay our oldest to fix the lawnmower, presser washer and other small engines, since he took a small engines class. We also pay $5 to wash the car $10 if they detail it. We feel your payment for doing your chores is the feeling of a clean house and being part of something bigger then you. We also want to install work ethics and the understanding of getting paid for doing a job and money management. Now with the money they earn they are required to put half in savings and the other have they can do what they wont with since they have no bills. Our oldest has saved enough to buy his own lettermans jacket and pay for his drivers Ed class. What he doesn't know is that grandmas and us our going 50/50 & getting his jacket. He earned it and we already paid for his drives Ed class because he got good grades.
vtmommyof2bratz
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM

no allowance and no chores - i do not make them do anything but if they willingly help out i will give them a couple dollars

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)