Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Honesty

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 26 Replies

You know those "hard" questions teens will ask, partying and things like that, we ALL have done things that we would not want our teens doing. Are you all 100% honest with answers about your past?? And how old are your teens before you are. Is honesty always the best policy??

by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on May. 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

no we ALL have not done things that we don't want our kids doing.  I have been honest with my kids because honestly I didn't do anything wrong when I was a teen, so yes I want them to follow my example and they have.

mandaboo99
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Ok so maybe not ALL but not everyone falls info that category :) kudos to you!! I am honest with my kids, and my parents were strict with me, but I smoke cigarettes behind their backs from the age of 12, (i have quit ) so my qustion is, do you tell them that or do you just keep telling them dont smoke when they ask how old you were when you did??

Quoting fammatthews4:

no we ALL have not done things that we don't want our kids doing.  I have been honest with my kids because honestly I didn't do anything wrong when I was a teen, so yes I want them to follow my example and they have.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm honest, although I don't have a whole lot of 'stuff' in my past. I wasn't perfect. Why lie? I teach them to tell me the truth, even if it's probably not going to be what I want to hear. Why wouldn't I show them the same respect?

sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this
Im honest but not forthcoming. My private life is my private life and I do not feel a need to share it with anyone including my children. I share when it is needed but not always when it is requested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_star
by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I am 100% honest with my children, about everything. I was a teen mom, an alcoholic at 16, slept around, did some drugs, partied, got pregnant again, had an abortion, GED, and I am honest about all of it, how hard it was, how terrible I felt about letting my life slip that much. Honesty is the best policy, my children know they can come to me with anything or ask me anything. I've always been honest with them, but as was age appropriate. If they asked about something, I was honest. 

OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I'm honest. I want them to know I understand what it's like to be their age and hopefully they'll feel comfortable coming to me about different issues. I also hope they can learn from my mistakes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandaboo99
by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I was a Teen mom as well, He is now 14 only a year younger than I was when I had him. I feel the same about being honest Im very open with my kids,just wondering if there is a point where we should keep some things to ourselves?? Just in case we wind up with "well YOU did it so why cant I"

Quoting jojo_star:

I am 100% honest with my children, about everything. I was a teen mom, an alcoholic at 16, slept around, did some drugs, partied, got pregnant again, had an abortion, GED, and I am honest about all of it, how hard it was, how terrible I felt about letting my life slip that much. Honesty is the best policy, my children know they can come to me with anything or ask me anything. I've always been honest with them, but as was age appropriate. If they asked about something, I was honest. 

jojo_star
by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I only have one biological child, and I was 13 when he was born, my other children are 14, 15, and 16, I'm 25, so I'm very close in age to them. I have a bachelors degree, a wonderful job, a great marriage, and awesome children, so I'm not the typical teen mom, but they know how hard it was, and how easily it could have gone differently. My son remembers what it was like when we lived at home with my parents (who were amazing, and supported us) but he remembers having to pinch pennies, mom going to school all the time, and he knows how much better it is now, with two parents, no money concerns, etc. My other kids each have their own pasts, they're smart, and they all know the reality of my life as a teen mom. I really think honesty is always best, because if they find out (and they will) they will loose trust in you, and it's just best to tell them how hard life really can be. 

Quoting mandaboo99:

I was a Teen mom as well, He is now 14 only a year younger than I was when I had him. I feel the same about being honest Im very open with my kids,just wondering if there is a point where we should keep some things to ourselves?? Just in case we wind up with "well YOU did it so why cant I"

Quoting jojo_star:

mandaboo99
by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest remembers how it was for us, We had a great support system with my parents we stayed with them for a while, he knows remembers me working and going to school and being in daycare. It was just the two of us until I met my wonderful husband and now he has two younger siblings and I run my own business. sounds very similar. nice to meet you!!

Quoting jojo_star:

I only have one biological child, and I was 13 when he was born, my other children are 14, 15, and 16, I'm 25, so I'm very close in age to them. I have a bachelors degree, a wonderful job, a great marriage, and awesome children, so I'm not the typical teen mom, but they know how hard it was, and how easily it could have gone differently. My son remembers what it was like when we lived at home with my parents (who were amazing, and supported us) but he remembers having to pinch pennies, mom going to school all the time, and he knows how much better it is now, with two parents, no money concerns, etc. My other kids each have their own pasts, they're smart, and they all know the reality of my life as a teen mom. I really think honesty is always best, because if they find out (and they will) they will loose trust in you, and it's just best to tell them how hard life really can be. 

Quoting mandaboo99:

Quoting jojo_star:

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Yes. Dh and I never did drugs. Never had sex in hs either. Very honest with our girls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN