Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me find the words!

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM
  • 23 Replies

School gets out her tomorrow.  The past 2 days have been horrible. She got home from soccer practice which was rescheduled an hr later than the usual time. She didn't get home till around 8, & took her shower.  My 14 yo dd (closer to 15 by far) was on the phone with a friend when she should have been taking her shower.  She was to study for a final today.  (which she didn't do because she was doing EVERYTHING under the sun EXCEPT that). We have such a problem with her washing her sports sock & I found them last night all wadded up in her gym bag & they were so... rank & plus they have huge holes in them (and I do mean huge irreparable) and rips, & holes all over them.  I have sewn them 2 x's but I had no idea they were now such a disaster. Anyway, I made her wash them by hand.  She had already washed another load & it was too late to put them in (why she didn't put them in is beyond me).  All this took her till 10:15 & I didn't find out about the rips, tears, holes in the 2 pair of sock till this morning. How do I get her to take care of these? I don't think it would send a good msg to buy more sox since she ruined these. Should I just take her upcoming allowance & buy replacements? What would be a good teaching plan?? I then found out because of sending something from my email to hers that she had received an email from a coach asking if their was any interest for cross country track training this summer.  She had responded YES & it starts in June at 7 am in the morning.  I was livid that she didn't tell us anything about it/ask our permission too. She has drivers ed at 8 am already the whole month of June.  Geez, just take your parents for-granted!!!!!!!!!  It's not like we live in the same town as drivers ed OR this track training (we live 7 miles away).  She is a morning person (which is good), but she didn't even ask.  What would you do/say, etc?  I know we are going to have a conversation.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I would ask her how she is going to accomplish these two am tasks ? Ask her if she thinks she should choose one ? As far as the socks let it go. If that what she chooses are her age ~~~ Go Her ! I would write up a contract for next year about school work coming before sports. That if studying is blown off then she returns the uniform of the sport she is playing.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM
She needs to wash her socks and wash them. In HS my girls washed all their clothes on their own.
She needs to ask you before she signs up for things too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomsRule723
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Take a deep breath and calm down.  I know they are hell of frustrating but you are probably the only one in a tizzy.  Get over the socks, it's her deal.  If she doesn't clean them, then she can wear dirty socks.  Don't go buy her anything without her asking for it.  As far as signing up for more than one thing, again, she needs to deal with it.  I have a hard time too, but sometimes it's best just to let them figure it out since they know so much!!

luckysevenwow
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Relax momma, this is all pretty normal for a teen.

Let the whole sock thing go, socks are not made like they used to be and are one thing I find that need to be replaced ofter. If they're dirty, the only person it really has an effect on is her. If she doesn't mind dirty, nasty socks, then leave her be.

Does she have a bike? If not get her one and let her figure out how she is going to get to the two places she has said she will be. She just didn't think it through, but she is old enough to get herself around.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM

The socks have knee pads, shin pads (they are $20 a pair), she has ruined 3 pair.  As for the bike that would be an excellent idea but like I said we live 7 miles away from where she has to be at 7 am & again at 8 am. She knows we are taking her to drivers ed at 8 am.  The issue is the 8 am & her not asking/talking to us just thinking it's a go... 

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Relax momma, this is all pretty normal for a teen.

Let the whole sock thing go, socks are not made like they used to be and are one thing I find that need to be replaced ofter. If they're dirty, the only person it really has an effect on is her. If she doesn't mind dirty, nasty socks, then leave her be.

Does she have a bike? If not get her one and let her figure out how she is going to get to the two places she has said she will be. She just didn't think it through, but she is old enough to get herself around.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM

yes,I agree.  She is meticulous with her laundry, taking a shower daily but what is it with the socks, shoes & they are name brand... 

Quoting atlmom2:

She needs to wash her socks and wash them. In HS my girls washed all their clothes on their own.
She needs to ask you before she signs up for things too.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM

The sox are so... expensive & it's 3 pair & she's not a dirty kid. She takes a shower daily & has done her own laundry daily. What's the deal with the torn, dirty.  I'm talking ripped, huge holes.  I'm not sewing them up anymore.  They are now beyond that!! 

Quoting MomsRule723:

Take a deep breath and calm down.  I know they are hell of frustrating but you are probably the only one in a tizzy.  Get over the socks, it's her deal.  If she doesn't clean them, then she can wear dirty socks.  Don't go buy her anything without her asking for it.  As far as signing up for more than one thing, again, she needs to deal with it.  I have a hard time too, but sometimes it's best just to let them figure it out since they know so much!!

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM
3 moms liked this

My son plays sports that require socks (hockey and soccer), and they just get worn through play. I don't think there is anything you can do about that part. I think it's unreasonable to expect that they would remain in good condition all season. Why do you get the pads in the soccer socks? I just buy the shin guards separately, and then I can get really cheap socks at Play It Again. I prefer the shin guards with the ankle protection in them anyhow, and I don't think that's an option for the socks with pads sewn into them.

As far as track goes, I'd probably make her explain to the coach that she already had other commitments and should have checked with you first. 

cat4458
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM

It's not just one pair a year, it's 4 pair a year.  That's the problem & it's rips, tears, not just holes. It's in the foot, calf, & knee area.  She just isn't careful with them.  She has shin guards, these are for extra padding in the shin area & knee area.  That's what the girls wear. It's $80 for a season.  Not good, otherwise I wouldn't be complaining. 

Quoting Barabell:

My son plays sports that require socks (hockey and soccer), and they just get worn through play. I don't think there is anything you can do about that part. I think it's unreasonable to expect that they would remain in good condition all season. Why do you get the pads in the soccer socks? I just buy the shin guards separately, and then I can get really cheap socks at Play It Again. I prefer the shin guards with the ankle protection in them anyhow, and I don't think that's an option for the socks with pads sewn into them.

As far as track goes, I'd probably make her explain to the coach that she already had other commitments and should have checked with you first. 

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 29, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see how it's related to her not being careful with them, but if you feel it would help, I don't think it's unreasonable for her to help with the cost of them. We provide my son with the basic hockey equipment, and he has to pay for above and beyond equipment.

Given I'm a hockey mom, complaining about $80 in equipment doesn't phase me. I'm more like $80 is a bargain for these ice skates or hockey stick or equipment bag or helmet or whatever other piece of gear he's outgrowing. (I'd be afriad to add up the total amount his gear costs in his hockey bag, but I can tell you I'd love to only pay only for soccer equipment throughout the season...even if it costs $80 in socks.) I know that his soccer socks get more wear than his hockey socks do, but he still has tons of pairs of hockey socks because they just wear so much throughout the season. He has two game pairs (one home and one away) in addition to a few practice pairs. By the end of the season, all his hockey socks are torn and filled with holes, and this is a sport that's on the ice and where the socks have less contact with other surfaces than what you see in soccer. It's just part of the physicality that sports require. So that's why I really think it's unreasonable to think a pair of soccer socks would last all season. Even in my son's rec soccer (2x a week for 2.5 months), I'm not surprised that his socks get holy. They put a lot of wear and tear on them during a game.

Even with that begin said, we do have my son help pay for his hockey stick because he wants the high-end expensive sticks instead of more affordable ones. Having the child contribute can help them feel more responsible for the equipment in some cases. 

Quoting cat4458:

It's not just one pair a year, it's 4 pair a year.  That's the problem & it's rips, tears, not just holes. It's in the foot, calf, & knee area.  She just isn't careful with them.  She has shin guards, these are for extra padding in the shin area & knee area.  That's what the girls wear. It's $80 for a season.  Not good, otherwise I wouldn't be complaining. 

Quoting Barabell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)