Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on the school messing up my daughters credits so she cant graduate!

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 4:27 PM
  • 22 Replies

It's been a very long week, we met with the school on Weds. They told us because of current state laws my daughter couldn't walk across the stage, in an effort to stop kids from "pretending" to graduate. It was a bunch of Bull to me. They paid us back for the 7th hours they forced her to take and I found out she has 6 1/2 credits of English... but there was nothing they could do. I was furious about the walking part but DD found out from one of her friends there is a girl in her class with Cancer and they are not allowing her to walk because she "missed" too many days. So, if they wont even allow the poor 12th grader with cancer to walk then there wasn't any way my daughter would be able to. To make it worse, they decided DD has to stay in school till mid June like the 9th-11th graders. Which kills a 3 week internship I had helped her get at the local crime lab and a program at the local Funeral Home (I have a degree in Law and a Mortuary Liceanse) , the summer classes will already interfer with a family trip to Montana to see my new little nephew. We were told she couldn't test out fo the classes and she couldn't take them online because DD would no longer be considered a student in our district. We are still trying to work out what exactly to do, the school told us they would rather her come back for a full semester next year because they dont offer any math classes she could take over the summer. This is very upsetting to us, because they also told us she wont be considered a memeber of the class and cannot go to things like Homecoming that would at least make this diaster a little more fun. 

So, we also found out this isn't exactly unheard of at all. Infact I guess as states get more strict on exactly what is required (not just 23 credits or the basics 4 years) but more strict when it comes to exact courses this has been happening. I don't think it makes me feel any better, if nothing else it makes me furious with the politicans in place who think they know everything and that decided High School should be college.

It been very hard, at first my parents were furious we weren't going to cancel DDs party, now my dad wants to send out a mass email to his family explaining the situation. Personally I would rather just not have to explain it a hundred times over and his family will drive me insane with added questions at the party. Dh's point is that DD is going to graduate, its just going to take a few extra months so in his mind there really isn't a reason for us to make a big deal with people outside our immediate family about the situation. 

We also found out that this will badly mess with her military career. DD is signed up with the US Marines and is supposed to leave late Aug. for Boot Camp. Her recuiter person is trying to figure out what to do. He told us this could actually cause her not to make it into the Marines which is her dream because she will be considered not "graduating on time". He told us she could join the Army but DD isn't really excited about that. She worked so hard for these grades, to get into the Marines. He also told us there could be some legal issues since she already signed to leave in Auguest. The Military he told us isn't really good with dealing with problems like this. I feel so bad for DD.

My plan is to still take her tomomrow and take photos of her in her cap and gowned. To still post them on Facebook, and just to ignore the school. 

by on May. 31, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 31, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Last year the last day of school my nephew's friend found out he missed passing a class by 3 points. He had to go to summer school and not walk at graduation. He did go ahead and have his party with my nephew and another friend. It was awkward. We have known the family forever that this happened to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HopesNDreams
by on May. 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Have her take the math class over the summer at the local community college. The high school should accept that.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Why are people waiting until the last minute to check these things? Wow!

We got a list of all required courses from the school and check them off each semester. Not rocket science!
Playitagain
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Why are people waiting until the last minute to check these things? Wow!

We got a list of all required courses from the school and check them off each semester. Not rocket science!

I'm just going to assume you didn't read my original post

HH6
by New Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Have you considered calling your congressman or senator?  You daughter has worked hard and has a career that she has worked for as well.  I truly find it awful that she may lose her chance at a dream career that she wants and has worked for.  Someone needs to know that this is what their policies are creating. You seem very well informed and you have not played the "blame game" or been demanding or unreasonable.  You are well spoken and have reasonable expectations so you may be just the person to take this to the next level.  I'd give it a shot.

02nana07
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you thought of getting her GED since she should have no problem passing the test and I would contact everyone from the congressman to the governor about the school not knowing what is required to graduate.  The school messed up big time and whoever is over approving your daughters schedule should be in the unemployment line since they aren't doing their job.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:16 PM
I read the original post. Still think this could have been dealt with sooner.
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM
A whole senior class in Sweden can't graduate. The whole class missed taking a religion class. School said take the whole class in a week, or do not graduate and pay to take it in the fall. How is that possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM

The problem is with the constantly changing rules for graduation. What my oldest needed to graduate, the next one didn't, and so forth and so on till the 4th graduated. If the school has a hard time keeping up, how are parents supposed to and a lot of times the school doesn't even let parents know until it's to late, in many cases.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I read the original post. Still think this could have been dealt with sooner.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM
That's why parents need to be going down there and demanding information. In CA, the schools are required to give you a handbook with the state requirements each year. I have my 1st one in 9th this year and am already checking the book!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)