Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents of Seniors....You Too?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:39 PM
  • 10 Replies

slapI am the mother of a boy who just today finished his last "real" day of high school, graduation is next Thursday, big party on Sunday at our house for my son and his cousin, same age, different local high school.  I am losing my mind.  After spending most of the past several days operating on very little sleep to get everything done for the party, graduation, family lunches, presents, etc. and trying to get my work done (self-employed) I was telling my son about the final plans for the grad party.  He was.....................well, nothing.  Not excited at all even though he wanted for and asked for the party and the invites are out.   I asked if I had all the friends e mails he wanted to ask, he said, "I'm not asking that many people, it's not a big party"!   I think I may shoot him or me.   

Oh well...........maybe it's just senior blues.  This kid has been amazing academically, socially and in community service and sports so I guess leaving may be hard, he's sort of the "king" of the school.   Besides, I have my DD graduating from college a week later and I have to get ready for all the relatives, they are descending on my house on Monday!  

Anyone else dealing with crazed seniors?

by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Susie on May. 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd invited a few people. It was her party. She had a dozen friends over. That was it. If he doesn't want a big party you should do what he wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:34 PM

just do it small if that is what he wants it will be easier on everyone

by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:35 PM

It's possible he's just a little sad about the whole thing. come the big day I'm sure he'll perk up.

by Kimberly on May. 31, 2013 at 11:23 PM

My youngest graduated last year....  he refused a party.    My oldest had a 'family' party, but was more interested in going to the all night party the school had.

Your son will get into the swing of things at the party, I'm sure.

by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:39 PM

My 2nd oldest is graduating in a few weeks! He didn't seem super excited about the grad party, so I didn't bother worrying about it. He knew my mom was willing to pay for it, they have signs all over the High School about it, so he didn't do anything to get the money from my mom to go, so I guess he doesn't care!! I was right there when my mom told him to find out how much it was, let her know, and she would give him the money for it!! It never happened. Oh well. Our older son graduated last year, and he said the trip for the grad party was nasty!! They rode on smelly, dirty buses, that didn't have windows to let fresh air in!! He said it was gross having to breathe in nasty smells of the buses for the whole trip!! They traveled from Washington to Idaho for a trip to an amusement park there! Its like a 6-hour drive each way!!! I think my older son wishes he would have just stayed home! My mom is taking our 3 oldest kids to Disneyland so I think my Senior will enjoy that a lot more than the Senior trip, plus they are flying to California instead of driving!!

by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Me. You described my son to a tee. I also have a daughter that graduated. I'm very very close to them and its really hard to let go. My son will be leaving for Washington State for college in 15days and my daughter will be leaving in July for school in Ardmore which is about 2hrs of me. I'm bumbed & stressed and it seems like they are like "it's another day". I feel for yahoo because I know how you are feeling.

by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Did you watch the comedy, "The Middle" last week?  Identical scenario that you describe.  Watch it!

by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Mine graduated this morning and we just took close family about 10 out for a lunch at place of her choice that was fine by me

by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Our oldest graduated last night. We had family here all week, plus multiple activities for all of the kids. Everyone left this morning. I stayed in my pajamas all day, took a nap and ordered pizza for dinner. We are exhausted.

Congratulations to everyone with kids graduating!
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I wish I had the energy to do what you do and how thoughtful and courageous to throw a party!   I would assign him a job to do to make him apart of the planning, be it ever so simple.  He will remember this forever, you're a great mom.  ( our job as mom is pretty thankless)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)