Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Parents Kicked Out of Kids' Graduation for Not Dressing Up

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 264 Replies
1 mom liked this

Parents Kicked Out of Kids' Graduation for Not Dressing Up

by Jeanne Sager

graduation dress codeYou expect there to be a dress code for a high school graduation. A dress code for the kids, that is. But some high schools are starting to enforce a dress code for parents. They're even telling parents they can't watch their own kids' commencement exercises because they didn't follow the rules!

Can you believe it? How dare a school deny proud parents the right to be there for their kids?!

That's what happened in Charles City County, Virginia, the other day. Parents were turned away at the door because they showed up to their kids' graduation ceremonies in jeans and sneakers. They were told they'd have to watch their kids accept their diplomas on a screen in a separate auditorium, but they couldn't go into the actual graduation.

The parents are outraged that they were kicked out.

But I say good on the school.

One of the things I love best about my job as a reporter for a small town newspaper is the chance to cover high school graduation ceremonies every June. My kid is still a ways away from "Pomp and Circumstance" (although, sadly, the gap closes every year), but on graduation day, I can't help but get caught up in the emotion: everyone is celebrating those kids' accomplishments. Everyone, that is, except the ragamuffins who walk in the door in clothes that appear to have been pulled from the "I wore this to paint my guest room last week, then rolled in a mud" pile.

I've seen it all over the years. Holey t-shirts. Stained undershirts. Booty shorts. Hooker heels. Things most of us wouldn't wear outside of the house, never mind to an important school function (well, the hooker heels might be OK ... at a nightclub).

Every time I see it, I waffle back and forth between sadness and embarrassment. Sadness that they didn't find it in them to at least throw on a clean pair of jeans for what may well be the biggest day of their child's life. Embarrassment for their kid, who has to look at Mom or Dad looking like a schlub next to his buddy's parents who are dressed to the nines. The message he's being sent is clear: "Sorry Kid, but we just didn't feel like you were that important."

I don't expect parents to go beyond what they can afford. You don't have to go rent a tux for your kid's graduation, people.

But your kid worked hard! They deserve a little recognition for that, a little respect. The least you can do is find a clean shirt and cover your behind.

Would you follow a dress code for your kid's graduation or are schools overreaching when they dictate what parents can and can't wear?

by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this
If they published it ahead of time, absolutely. Even on the football field I was no scummy parents. I wore a nice top and black pants or black capris. Dh dress shirt and decent pants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM

i'm not one for dress codes  i find them annoying but  i dont go out of my way to break them either.  If we were told ahead of time no jeans or t-shirts That woulda been fine because i'm not gonna miss my kids graduation over a need to wear jeans to the ceremony. Not that i would want to show up in jeans but anyway.

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM
74 moms liked this

IDK on this one, growing up my dad worked construction and a LOT of hours. He would always try to show up for our events at school but most time did not have a chance to shower/shave put on clean clothes. I would much rather him of been there to support me than run home and change and maybe miss it. IMO

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Holy crap you would roast here in AZ wearing that, I usually wear shorts and a tank top to my kids outdoor sporting events. :) Inside school events a bit more dressed. :)

Quoting atlmom2:

If they published it ahead of time, absolutely. Even on the football field I was no scummy parents. I wore a nice top and black pants or black capris. Dh dress shirt and decent pants.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
AZ is not Wisconsin. Going to be 55 during graduation. Graduation is not a sporting event either. Dressing like a homeless person is uncalled for.

Quoting chattycassie:

Holy crap you would roast here in AZ wearing that, I usually wear shorts and a tank top to my kids outdoor sporting events. :) Inside school events a bit more dressed. :)

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newlife2013
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree I applaud the school. There is a way to wear clothes that if its appropriate will always look good, but some parents are trying too hard to dress like their kids or fit into their clothes....and its not slightly attractive or appropriate.

my son just had a communion and some of the moms had the shortest dresses, bra straps out, lots of sheer materials and high heels, soon the churches will have to put guidelines out too.
02nana07
by Ida on Jun. 3, 2013 at 2:07 PM
5 moms liked this

This mama would have been in jail if no notice was given and they wouldn't let me in.  That is so wrong I can see a dress code to a point.   Maybe clean clothes that cover you up, no writing on t shirts but it is hot at most graduations and people should be allowed to be comfortable.  No jeans or t shirts wouldn't go to well around here.

Shellness
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM
65 moms liked this

Unless they were dressed inappropriately in a VULGAR way the parents should be left the heck alone! There are parents out there who don't own a pair of dress pants or a pair of dress shoes. Give me a damn break already!

Are you going to imply that they are less of a parent because of their dress? Maybe because they bothered to show up to the ceremony in the first place?

Don't you think there is the kid out there with the parent who is a sharp dresser that wouldn't even bother to show up for the ceremony? Don't you understand that that happens more often than you think? Who cares what they are wearing; the fact that's important here is their presence.

SMH, this world suffers from this type of thinking. Wonder if Jesus has a pair of nice dockers and dress shoes?

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM
3 moms liked this
If ya want your kids to dress classy, parents be examples. Even if it is hot wear a nice sundress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janeite
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I went more casual for my stepson's graduation last month because I didn't want to upstage his mom, but still wore a nice mid-length summer dress. If there had been a strict dress code I would surely have followed it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN