Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Anyone else's Senior not know what they want to do after high school?

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM
  • 30 Replies

DS is 17 and finishing his junior year.   He has NO IDEA what he wants to do after he graduates.    I know he has another year, but most of his peers are starting to have some idea.  

We have tried to explain to him that he doesn't need to pick what he wants to do for the rest of his life, just what he wants to do NEXT.... to pick a direction to start in.   He has not been much of a student so it is not surprising that he is not college bound, but it would be nice if he was showing some interest in something post high school....

Anyone else in this situation?   What are you doing to help you kid find a direction?

by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FindersKeepers
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM

BUMP

Manth
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 4:35 AM

My older daughter has known since she was 8 years old what she wanted to be - a robotics engineer, designing and building robots.  She is 2 years into her 4 year degree for this and every class just confirms to her that she's doing the right thing.  She LOVES it.

My younger daughter for a long time had no idea of what she wanted to do.  Then they did a class at school (through the Science classes) in Forensics.  Now she wants to study Forensic Science and have a career in that.  She is in her last year of High School.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 7, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd graduated last year and was still unsure of what to do next. She chose to work full time rather than start college right away.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

What we did with ALL our kids is tell them (early on) that if they go to college, we will pay tuition and all living expenses.  If they don't - they're out of the house, and we will not pay their expenses.

It worked, they all went to college.  And one of mine who wasn't much of a high school student has blossomed in college - getting all A's and B's.  She's just finishing her 2nd year.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM
One wanted Massage school. Other 4 year college. They had to do some sort of school. Not an option to not go to some sort of college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

There are a lot of kids who don't know what they want to do after graduation, and really don't figure it out till after then. Many don't figure it out till they are in college, some figure it out after working for a while. Some are lucky enough to figure it out early on, then some change their minds mid way through.

pokey-pwa
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

My DD is the same way.  She is 17, just finished her junior year and has not decided a whole lot.  She did inform me that she wants to start out at the junior college here first to get some courses under her belt.  They have a lot of classes that are "job specific" like law, medical, dental, etc.  I told her that was a great idea.  They have smaller classes and a full course schedule of abot 16 hours only runs about $1200.00 (compared to the $10,000.00 per semester at the 4 year college here).  So at least she knows she wantsto go to college and start off small first to figure out what she wants to do.  You may suggest that to your DS.  Try a junior college that wont break everyones pocketbooks to get started and dabble in some different fields.

DD has mentioned a few time about criminal law or psychology.  DH works with people who teach in the law enforcement field so he brought some textbooks home fore her to look over and she is going through tehm now.  She is also thinking about setting up a meeting with one of the people where he works to talk about what kind of things she can get into with certain law degrees.  Have DS think of a few options he is interested in and see who he can talk to where y'all live. Maybe see if he can intern or get a part time job in a field he thinks he might like, or even volunteer work. 

Janeite
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

My 17 year old stepson just graduated from high school. He didn't get into the school he wanted, so things have changed. It was wild having conversations with him about what he might like to do now. He felt a lot of pressure from his mom and stepdad to follow in his stepdad's footsteps. He told me he was feeling called to clergy, but knew his mom wouldn't allow it. It's been tough for him and I hope he figures it out in college. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 7, 2013 at 1:42 PM

My son is still in junior high, but seems to have decided on a career that involves higher education.

My suggestion to your son is to take him around to some trade schools and community colleges. I didn't know what I wanted to do in college, and ended up dropping out because of it after two years. I now wish I went to trade schools because I could have had a better paying career or job while trying to figure out what I wanted higher education in, if anything.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I agree with you guys doing the small short term goals...what are some things your DS enjoys doing or his interests? You could make goals off that list. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN