Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

DD had her first calculus tutoring session.

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this
Holy crap, the neighbor kid that will be a senior in college. He taught her more in 1 hour than she learned from her professor in 7 weeks before she dropped it.
She didn't know what calculus meant even. He told her that professor must have sucked. Calculus means change, something I never knew.
I could see her confidence go through the roof today. She is usually a good math student.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
drfink
by Emily on Jun. 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Fantastic ,that is wonderful....maybe he can do long distance tutoring in a couple of years when mine take Cal in h.s. ....only a little bit joking

I took it in college but couldn't explain it to save my life then or now...we...they at least my 16 y.o. will need some extra help.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM
She has a hard semester coming up. It will be a relief for her to not struggle with calculus.

Quoting drfink:

Fantastic ,that is wonderful....maybe he can do long distance tutoring in a couple of years when mine take Cal in h.s. ....only a little bit joking

I took it in college but couldn't explain it to save my life then or now...we...they at least my 16 y.o. will need some extra help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Jun. 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Ya not just getting this tough class out of the way but giving her some confidence can only help with a hard semester coming up.Excellent for her.

My daughter has had low confidence in math at times.She is a smart girl but in math she has to put out some work to get it.She has a couple of friends that all math comes like a snap.I wonder if she compares herself to them sometimes.I 've asked and she has said no but I kind of think she does.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM
She's not in calc now. Just getting tutored. She will start an Ethics class Tuesday. Math's come easy to her till she took calc.

Quoting drfink:

Ya not just getting this tough class out of the way but giving her some confidence can only help with a hard semester coming up.Excellent for her.

My daughter has had low confidence in math at times.She is a smart girl but in math she has to put out some work to get it.She has a couple of friends that all math comes like a snap.I wonder if she compares herself to them sometimes.I 've asked and she has said no but I kind of think she does.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM

My daughter struggeled in calculus this year.  She was thrilled when the teacher emailed her to say that she earned a B+ on the final.  She will still need to take again in college since it was not a college level class, but she will be more prepared to take it.  

drfink
by Emily on Jun. 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting atlmom2:

She's not in calc now. Just getting tutored. She will start an Ethics class Tuesday. Math's come easy to her till she took calc.

Quoting drfink:

Lucky girl your daughter , my poor daughter got my math traits.Math wasn't hard just not easy...then calculus hit both of us the same way.We both made B's but like me it took some effort and help .My husband has all three of his degrees in engineering and poor daughter gets her math from me ...poor girl.Our older two sons or more like their dad in math but not quite as math oriented but our youngest ...lucky guy ...has his dad's math ability.

janeDD670
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Lucky you that yiur neighbour's kid was able to help ... that is super convenient. I have been trying to tutor my son Math but I think I have already strechted my Math abilities and need someone like your neighbour's kid.

PinkButterfly66
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I had a sucky calculus teacher in college too.  It was a grad student. The engineering students in the class were always correcting him.  I was struggling in the class even though a neighbor was helping me.  I ended up with the flu and flat on my back for 2 weeks.  I took it as a sign from above and sat in the drop/add line as soon as I was well and dropped it and switched my major.  I was a much happier person as a business major.  

bizzeemom2717
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I had an awful calc teacher! Glad your dd was able to regain some confidence, esp if math is one of her best subjects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN