Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: Is it okay to read my 14 year old daughter...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM
  • 53 Replies
Is it okay to read my 14 year old
daughter's texts?
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Honestly? No. Unless you have a very solid reason to suspect that she is into something dangerous or illegal, I wouldn't. 

jujubear1
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
If you have a reason not to trust her. We told ss that while we pay his phone bill, we reserve the right to check up on him at any time. We rarely did and only once did we find something to be concerned about.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM
6 moms liked this
If you pay for it yep. Even if you don't and they are under 18 and live in your home, yep. I told my girls when you are under 18, computers, phones whatever are never ever private so don't think they are. When mine were younger they didn't have cameras on their phones either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

This is pretty much how I feel about it.

Quoting jojo_star:

Honestly? No. Unless you have a very solid reason to suspect that she is into something dangerous or illegal, I wouldn't. 

ame4c
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM
4 moms liked this

Absolutely.  I pay for my teens phones, I have the right to read and monitor their phone calls.  When they start paying for them they can have that privacy.

No I don't do it unless I feel I have a need too, but we do go over their phones every once in awhile.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Only did twice. And for extreme reasons. The first - a girl at DD's school was claiming my DD sent her an abusive text and her father was ringing my DD over and over and over demanding an answer. DD had no idea WHY he was ringing her, gave me the phone and we found out ages later that a girl from the group who had no phone had used DD's phone and sneakily sent the message. *sigh* the second time at a different school, the school demanded I look at DD's messages to see if she was stalking a boy-You can't really claim stalking when the person is responding enthusiastically to your messages every time you respond. >.> I've been more interested in her facebook than her phone. Still can't figure out why at 21 she feels the need to block me from all her status's >.> 

tyfry7496
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Only if you have a legitimate reason to do so. Just because they are minors in your homes doesn't mean they don't deserve privacy too.
mopargurl
by Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this
My dd just turned 15 and I read every message she sends or receives. She has been inappropriate over texts and fb, she's come a long way to earn her phone privileges back, she still does not have a fb again. At first I was randomly checking her phone/fb and noticed things were off, checked phone records and she was deleting a ton of stuff. Her friend has my number and started fwd me the inappropriate stuff so she lost everything for a long time.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Privacy in changing clothes and their room yes. Privacy on a public computer or phone, no.

Quoting tyfry7496:

Only if you have a legitimate reason to do so. Just because they are minors in your homes doesn't mean they don't deserve privacy too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorriane
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes you do. She is your child and you need to know what is going on with her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)