Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Uneasy feeling

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM
  • 25 Replies

DS 17 has always been really good at picking his friends. He plays sports so the boys that he is friends with do to. They stay busy working out or at practice, no time for getting into trouble. Last week he brought home a new boy, this boy gives me an uneasy feeling. Dh says just keep an eye out and give him a chance. But, I don't know, I thought about talking about to ds but I'm not sure. Would you?

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
askmommy
by Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree to watching. You can't pick his friends. He is old enough, you need to trust him.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM
This

Quoting askmommy:

I agree to watching. You can't pick his friends. He is old enough, you need to trust him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorriane
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Watching is the best thing to do at this point. He has made good choices in the past so he may see something in this kid that you are not. Sometimes we need to let our children deal with a kid they like be we do not trust just so they can learn how to handle these things in their adult lives.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Well said...

Quoting Lorriane:

Watching is the best thing to do at this point. He has made good choices in the past so he may see something in this kid that you are not. Sometimes we need to let our children deal with a kid they like be we do not trust just so they can learn how to handle these things in their adult lives.

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Keep your eyes open.  That's all I can say.  I'd certainly chat casually to your son about him....you know..."Oh, he's (fill in the blank...tall, smart, good at video games...whatever)...how long have you known him?  I haven't seen him before?"  And just pay attention!

jojo_star
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM

You can't choose his friends for him. All you can do is watch and trust your son. 

corgiesX2
by Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

What is the uneasy feeling stemming from?  Looks? dress? behavior?

I have learned that you go with your gut.  It is always right!

bizzeemom2717
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with the pp, my gut was usually and still usually is right. Talk to your son. Just ask him about his new friend, how he met him, ect but don't badger. I would also take the time to strike up a few conversations with the new friend. Of course also keep your eyes open. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linus77
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM

You can keep an eye on him while being nice.  Trust YOUR instincts.  If anything goes wrong, you would be saying, "I KNEW IT!!!  I should have trusted myself!" 

And you can also warn your son.  Like this, "Son, you're a good kid and you make good decisions.  I don't know your friend, but something about him makes me feel uneasy.  Do me a favor and keep an eye out, okay?  Just be careful."

See?  You are not telling him to stop being friends.  You're not prying.  You're not bashing.  You are being a trusting parent who is sharing their concern. 

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM

IMO, if you just have a feeling and nothing concrete, I think you should give him a chance BUT you need to pay attention because of the feeling. Never ignore your gut.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN