Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Sumnmer school or retention?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM
  • 16 Replies

My dd failed 9th grade english and science and is being offered summer school for a cost of $200.  The reason she failed is because she didn't turn in work or major projects.  We tried everything to get her to get it together to no avail.  Now I am battling with dh because I think she needs more maturatiy  not more instruction.  The summer school program here is a computer base program.  This is not realistic to the academic year and her particular weakness.  She can learn in class, but her follow through this year sucked.  How will I know if she will correct her mistakes through summer school where she has no outside assignments?  Any advice?

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Having to do summer school and after school instruction last year then first semester this year really knocked some sense into my daughter and she did much better this year. With that being said, we don't have to pay for summer school here. If we had needed to pay, I'm not sure what we would have done
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
No doubt. Summer school. Punishment for not trying. Made my dd go once to raise her Bio grade from D to a C. Make her do chores to work the $200 off. Our summer school is free except book rental or buying workbooks etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I had to do summer school for Science and English after 6th grade.  It was six weeks long M-F from 8am-noon.  I was grounded those 6 weeks and had to do extra chores (even though my parents did not have to pay).  I got my head out of my butt after that summer and applied myself a lot more in school.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM
I told my dd that since she had to go for one class she could go and take another class too. She took health also besides making up her grade in Bio. Our summer school is not just recovery. It is for anyone wanting to fit in more classes or take less classes during the school year. Tons take summer phy ed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Summer school if you can afford it. Nothing sucks worse then having to spend your summers takng classes when you would prefer to be doing other things.

I took summer school by choice in high school, even then it was a chore.

drfink
by Emily on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Summer school if for no other reason than it is a perfect consequence of her actions.She can cut back on activities ,babysit outside the house ,extra chores around the house to work out the added cost.

I'm sure if you talk or email a dean or the head of the dept. they can help you find online some work she can do also.That way you will know what your looking for.

Does she just not do the work or does she do it but never turn it in?

aeneasa
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM
She just doesn't do it for some reason.
MrsBLB
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Summer school

pokey-pwa
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Summer school.  If you dont think she will follow through, then let her know that if she doesnt meet your expectations with the grades for these two courses, that she will have to pay you back the amount in full.

Homestly, some kids learn better on the computer than they do in a classroom.  Here they even have a HS that, while deemed the "problem child school", some kids get put into becasue they cant learn in a classroom setting. Once they have the opportunity for different methods of learning, they excel.  Give her the chance to prove herself to you. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I agree with the majority too... summer school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN