Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Strength Training by Teens?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:36 PM
  • 16 Replies

My son has always been athletic, but he's interested in wanting to lift weights this summer. 

Are you aware of any websites that might have strength training exercises geared towards teens? 

Any suggestions or warnings about teens adding some strength training to their current exercise routine?

We have a weight machine that uses pullies, and it does rowing too. We also have two exercise balls. I'm thinking about investing in some free weights for him too. Any other equipment suggestions?

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pokey-pwa
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I would look into a professional trainer at least to get him started.  You dont want him to overdo anything because of soemthing he read on a website.  We used Deltalife Bootcamp for a while when they were in town.  Now they have an online bootcamp that I believe they said was appropriate for ages 12 and up.  Pretty sure its very cheap but might be worth looking into so he can follow a set program.  My DDs worked out with us and they loved it. 

Also, research what is available in your town.  Our schools put on a strength and conditioning camp for the summer.  6 weeks, 4 days a week for $100. 

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM

My biggest concern is him knowing how to properly use the equipment and free weights.     My Dh used to lift weights, and when our son became interested in lifting, my Dh insisted he be there to supervise and spot him.   It took  several session for my son to learn to use them properly, keep his back straight, etc.   I would invest in a back brace belt.... and stay away from weight benches, unless he has a spotter.    Too much too soon is never good when kids are still growing.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with both ladies. 

We didn't get my son his till he was 17, but weight training was something he always did in school. We felt at that point he had a good grasp of the how's and when's to do it.

mjande4
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Our high schools all have strength and conditioning classes and coaches.  They have a summer school program just for this purpose.  Our parks and recreation classes do too.  I would check into it.

btherese
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I would definitely get a few professional sessions before he goes it on his own. And put a mirror by the weights so he can see his form. Both of my sons and myself lift and we've been doing it all our lives. So easy to get hurt and form is everything.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband knows how to use the weights and free weights properly. He started using them around my son's age. We're both pretty cautious, so we've made my son wait even though he's been interested for awhile. I read an article recently that said the American Pediatric Association now says that using light weights as early as 9 years old is okay, since it can be lighter then what the child's body weight would be (ie like in push-up). The key was--like what you said--was to make sure they were doing the motions properly. I know my husband will do that with him, but my son is a visual learner, so I thought some kind of book, video, website might help him pick up on it faster.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

My biggest concern is him knowing how to properly use the equipment and free weights.     My Dh used to lift weights, and when our son became interested in lifting, my Dh insisted he be there to supervise and spot him.   It took  several session for my son to learn to use them properly, keep his back straight, etc.   I would invest in a back brace belt.... and stay away from weight benches, unless he has a spotter.    Too much too soon is never good when kids are still growing.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I haven't seen it offered through comm ed, but I haven't tried the rec brochures.

My son isn't in HS yet, and he didn't have PE last year. They changed it so next year he'll have 7 periods in 8th grade, so he'll be able to finally have PE and some other electives in addition to his AVID class and foreign language.

Quoting mjande4:

Our high schools all have strength and conditioning classes and coaches.  They have a summer school program just for this purpose.  Our parks and recreation classes do too.  I would check into it.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting btherese:

I would definitely get a few professional sessions before he goes it on his own. And put a mirror by the weights so he can see his form. Both of my sons and myself lift and we've been doing it all our lives. So easy to get hurt and form is everything.

I've been toying around with the idea of getting a mirror. The gym in my work building has a full wall of mirrors, and I have found it really helpful for myself. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm definitely going to get one. There is a personal trainer that comes into my work gym. We cannot have non-employees at the work gym, but maybe the trainer would be willing to offer session at another location.

He's really interested in strengthing his core, and I think our exercise ball is actually going to be one of the best pieces of equipment for him.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:35 PM

A local hockey program offers an online strength and conditioning program for athletes 10-14. It's $100 for 12 weeks. It seems like they email a personalized routine daily and provide videos in those emails. Is that similar to what Deltalife Bootcamp does? I've been toying around with the idea, but wasn't sure if it would be any more beneficial that the instruction my husband could give him, since my husband would physically be monitoring his movements.

Quoting pokey-pwa:

I would look into a professional trainer at least to get him started.  You dont want him to overdo anything because of soemthing he read on a website.  We used Deltalife Bootcamp for a while when they were in town.  Now they have an online bootcamp that I believe they said was appropriate for ages 12 and up.  Pretty sure its very cheap but might be worth looking into so he can follow a set program.  My DDs worked out with us and they loved it. 

Also, research what is available in your town.  Our schools put on a strength and conditioning camp for the summer.  6 weeks, 4 days a week for $100. 

pokey-pwa
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Yes, that's kind of what Deltalife is like. I know they have videos and instructions as well. I think they are only $20 a month though? It includes things like recipes and tips and all that jazz too. Their website is deltalifebootcamp.com if you want to check it out.

Quoting Barabell:

A local hockey program offers an online strength and conditioning program for athletes 10-14. It's $100 for 12 weeks. It seems like they email a personalized routine daily and provide videos in those emails. Is that similar to what Deltalife Bootcamp does? I've been toying around with the idea, but wasn't sure if it would be any more beneficial that the instruction my husband could give him, since my husband would physically be monitoring his movements.

Quoting pokey-pwa:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)