Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

DD and a 'player' HELP!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:47 AM
  • 13 Replies

So I'm friend's with an ex employee of DD's. DD is being a bit immature and has blocked me from her facebook status's (No idea why - SHE can't even give me a reason why) but the friend of hers rung me today to say that there is a boy flirting with DD on her status's. I've asked DD NOT to friend anyone she doesn't know in person because she still doesn't know what's an appropriate amount of information to share and what's not.

Now I know it's going to be a half and half here on whether I should take her laptop or not -but if I do, she just uses her phone. And there is some stupid law here in Aus that states that if she pays for something, if her name is on the contract/tax reciept it is classified as stealing. I have also talked to DD's employment agency who has reassured me that she is taking the steps to get DD moved to a transitional home and to please just keep her here UNTIL she can do so.So asking her to leave is not an option.

Apparently the boy asked DD to go to a dangerous suburb and see his band perform live. DD actually asked my permission (I heard that she was also planning on lying to me and sneaking to the gig if I said no) and I said no. That the suburb wasn't a safe place for her. Apparently now that she's said no to the gig he's actually asking her out on a date. DD's friend said that this boy has a reputation and that he's not looking for love. What can I do? How do I "stop" her? She wants this guy BECAUSE he's a bad guy. She doesn't understand anything about getting hurt, or getting pregnant or anything. So - what can I do? I've tried talking and she rolled her eyes and said that I know nothing because I've been married for 10 years. >.>

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
02nana07
by Ida on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:41 AM

The harder you fight to keep them apart the more attractive he will become to her so all I can say is watch closely and try to keep her safe while letting her know you are there.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Thanks :) She hasn't actually told me about this guy. She told me she was going to the band's gig. Not to meet the guy, but to support a friend in this band. So I think I will wait to see if it comes of anything enough for her to TELL me about it.

Quoting 02nana07:

The harder you fight to keep them apart the more attractive he will become to her so all I can say is watch closely and try to keep her safe while letting her know you are there.

ForeverLawst
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Can you convice her to go with a friend or a group of friends? I'd feel a little more safe if she had backup. =) 

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

That was the exact reason she decided NOT to go to the gig - she didn't want to go alone and none of her friends know this band that well. But yes - I so would have told her to go for it if she did have a friend with her :)

Quoting ForeverLawst:

Can you convice her to go with a friend or a group of friends? I'd feel a little more safe if she had backup. =) 

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Can you take her to a family doctor or OB/GYN to go over again safe sex? Sometimes kids listen to other adults better than their own parents. At the very least, I don't want her to end up with an STD or pregnant. 

I would have talks about respecting your body and how sex is better if you're in a committed relationship, especially if it's sex for the first time.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:18 AM

How about talking to the ex employee of hers that you have befriended?   Maybe the mutual friend, who is facebook friends with her can talk to her about her concerns with this flirtatious relationship?

Does she have a caseworker who can talk to her? (I assume somone is involved with moving her to transitional housing?)

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:29 AM

How old is she?

bizzeemom2717
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM
This as well as just continue to talk to her. She's an adult even if she has some issues will be moving out soon it sounds like. You won't always be there to protect her. She has to learn

Quoting Barabell:

Can you take her to a family doctor or OB/GYN to go over again safe sex? Sometimes kids listen to other adults better than their own parents. At the very least, I don't want her to end up with an STD or pregnant. 

I would have talks about respecting your body and how sex is better if you're in a committed relationship, especially if it's sex for the first time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Legally I can't. I can tell her to make the appointment but I can't make it for her, I can't talk to the doctors. Nothing

Quoting Barabell:

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM

You can't go to the doctors with her, even if she wants you too? Here, doctors usually encourage you to bring a loved one to appointments for various reasons, even for patients my age and older. Odd.

Quoting GleekingOut:

Legally I can't. I can tell her to make the appointment but I can't make it for her, I can't talk to the doctors. Nothing

Quoting Barabell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN