Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this a teen thing?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:09 AM
  • 15 Replies

Does your teen hate to be watched?  My 14 yo dd has a fit if I or her Dad look at her while she is vacuuming, mowing, etc. I do not mean stand there and watch even walk into the room & glance. She will stop what she is doing and refuse to start again until we leave. Is this a teen thing? What do you say or do to your teen when they tell you not to watch them &  they stop the chore they are doing and refuse to continue till you stop watching them? When you are watching to make sure they are doing 'it' right (example: washing the car)?!

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine only hates it because she feels if you can sit there and WATCH her do the chore - then you can get up and help her do the chore. As for the 'doing it right' tell her that you will watch her until she proves that she can do the job with no help, no mistakes and then you will trust her to do it right and not watch her. But honestly - by 14 she should be doing the tasks right - and if not; you bring her ass out and make her do the whole thing all over again :)

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Quoting GleekingOut:

Mine only hates it because she feels if you can sit there and WATCH her do the chore - then you can get up and help her do the chore. As for the 'doing it right' tell her that you will watch her until she proves that she can do the job with no help, no mistakes and then you will trust her to do it right and not watch her. But honestly - by 14 she should be doing the tasks right - and if not; you bring her ass out and make her do the whole thing all over again :)

Yes, exactly that's what I have told her once she knows how & feel I can turn her loose. She just says no.  She was washing out the garbage can as she was putting the dog doo doo in it every time she came back from walking our dog (which she has been instructed to put it in another garbage container we have for cat litter put in & it goes in the garbage can on the day of garbage pick up.  We have been over this several times.  She just wants to do it her way (the easy way sluffing off) I mean what do I say when she says "don't watch me" & "leave me alone" & she just stands there doing nothing.  What do I do or say to remedy the standoff? She is right, I can't make her but what can I do to have her make up her mind it's in her best interest to do what is instructed.  I even asked her what her plan was to wash it out.  She said "don't worry about it" I let her do it her way, but she broke the hose sprayer. 

emmy526
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Quoting cat4458:

Quoting GleekingOut:

Yes, exactly that's what I have told her once she knows how & feel I can turn her loose.  She was washing out the garbage can as she was putting the dog doo doo in it every time she came back from walking our dog (which she has been instructed to put it in another garbage container we have for cat litter put in & it goes in the garbage can on the day of garbage pick up.  We have been over this several times.  She just wants to do it her way (the easy way sluffing off) I mean when what do I say when she says "don't watch me" & "leave me alone" & she just stands there doing nothing.  What do I do or say to remedy the standoff?

you tell her that it gets done by a certain time or there will be consequences...that new pair of shoes or pants she wanted?  Go to the store with her and just stand there looking at them, but don't buy them for her-you're doing it your way too!!  Another consequence is losing cell privledges, pc time, friends over, etc, etc...

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:19 AM
2 moms liked this

I didn't watch mine. They saw how we do things around the house to know how I wanted it done. If it wasn't done right , then they were sent to do it again.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I would tell her that I was unaware that mowing & vacuuming required privacy.  I live here, so I will be in the yard, or walking by a room whenever I choose.  She can stop doing the chore, and it will just take her longer to finish....not doing it is not an option.      Knowing me, I would take my book and iced tea outside and sit just to annoy her. lol.

I would tell her one time how to do it right, if she cops an attitude.   I would wait for her to finish before evaluating her job, if it is not satisfactory...she can do it again.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM
My oldest hates it. She is 22 and still doesn't like it. Youngest never says anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not a teen thing, it's a 2yo temper tantrum thing.  If she doesn't like it, too bad, so sad.  Who is in charge here--you or her?   Refusing to do what they had been told to do, would NEVER have flown in this house.  Refusing to do something the WAY she was told to do it, would have resulted in redoing it until she did it right.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:31 AM

I have heard "what" so many times, starting asking them what are you looking at you for it cures that.

fivegirls333
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:34 AM
2 moms liked this

i would tackle her for a hug fest until she smiled and KNOCKED IT OFF!  inside she is still a little girl, they just get goofy...make it a game.  the next time she gives you the stink eye, she will either stop quickly or know what is coming!...try it!  it just might work...smile.

suesues
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

why watch be glad she is doing it then if its done wrong let her try again

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)