Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you call their parents before you let your teen sleep over?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:02 PM
  • 42 Replies

Ever since my DD was little, I would call her friends parents before I allowed her to spend the night. She isn't that fond of sleepovers, so I only had to do it once or twice because when she sleeps over at someones house, its usually the same friend as always. Now my DD asked me if she could spend the night at her friends house, and even though I met her mother once, I still feel like I should call her to make sure we're on the same page. My DD is 16 and her friend is turning 18 next month. My DD keeps saying that I'd be embarrassing her. What should I do?

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM

No, I don't normally. He's 13. I might if it was the first time sleeping over at that friend's house, but IDK because it's been a long time since that's happened.

FL2AK
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM
If I don't know them well yes. I always meet the parents before my kids go to anyone's home. After that we will talk and make the plans with the parents unless we know them really well like our youngest son's best friend who lives down the street. The boys are always back and forth so we have an open door policy.
MrsBLB
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM

When they were younger I did.  Not after elementary school though.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM
It depends who it. It's mostly me who gets the calls from parents, because pretty much every Friday and Saturday he has a friend spend the night at our house (most of the time his best friend) If its his best friend I don't call, anyone else I do. My son is 14, and I can count on one hand how many times he spent the night in 2012/2013 at a friends house.
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM

After what we went through on two separate occassions I actually need to meet the parents before hand now. I thought it was fine with my daughter being 14+ but I was wrong. Twice I have had sleepovers end with cops being called and the parents being arrested. So yeah I meet the parents now. It has become common in our town after several things like this have happened. We have a bad problem with drugs here - especially with the adults.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Not after 13, my kids understood my expectations, and knew what would happen if they broke my trust.
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I have a 13 and 15 yr old daughter.  If it's one of their regular friends that I already know I don't.  If it's a new friend or one they haven't spent the night with before I just ask to speak with a parent to give them my number and Dh's number and see if she will need a ride to and from or if they plan to drop her off the next day.  That way I get a feel of their plans and what not without seeming like I am being over protective.  Neither of my girls have complained as of yet.  It doesn't happen that often because with both girls most sleepovers happen at our place.  A stocked pantry, wifi, cable and a swimming pool tends to help lol. 

hockey21
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I would call the parents of my daughters friend...the age difference is 2 years so you have to think of the elder person's mind frame.and what 18yr old wants a sleep over with a 16yr old??  I would be very cautious about that too more concerned is a better word  CALL THE PARENT

hockey21
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

i would call the parents regardless of how many times each have a sleeo over  be cautious and know what they are up too

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Wow, that's crazy!

I do meet the parents before my son sleeps over at a house. But he's only 13, and I currently have known all the parents of friends' houses that he goes to for years. But I think if he was to make a new friend tomorrow, I'd still want to meet them first at his current age before he hangs out at their home without me there.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

After what we went through on two separate occassions I actually need to meet the parents before hand now. I thought it was fine with my daughter being 14+ but I was wrong. Twice I have had sleepovers end with cops being called and the parents being arrested. So yeah I meet the parents now. It has become common in our town after several things like this have happened. We have a bad problem with drugs here - especially with the adults.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN