Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What is a "family meeting" in a mental ward mean?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM
  • 7 Replies

I can find very little information on what a family meeting is and what it is for.  They only wanted the adult family members in his household.  The only thing in the pamplet that they gave my husband is "The clinical care manager will schedule a family meeting to prepare for discharge."  He was admited Friday morning about 3am.  They called for a family meeting around noon on Friday.

So anyone who has dealt with this, could you please tell me what this means?  I am very conflicted right now, I'm probably even more stressed out right now than I was when he went in.  I spoke to him tonight on the phone (hubby said he wanted to talk to me) and he was rude and not talkative at all.  Just got the "OK" and "I don't know".  I asked him how his day was going, what he did, were they feeding him well.  Kept it very light and nonconfrontational and that's all I got.  Told him his sisters said hi, they love him and they miss him and got "OK". No hi back, nothing.

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Was he outright hostile? Or just uncommunicative?

Haven't been through any of this but an educated guess would be that they'll give you guidelines for what comes next.

my4boys2002
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:43 AM
You usually meet with the social worker and talk about going home, services and appointments. Some times they will talk about managing challenging behaviors, set up a safety plan. We have had several if these
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Quoting my4boys2002:

You usually meet with the social worker and talk about going home, services and appointments. Some times they will talk about managing challenging behaviors, set up a safety plan. We have had several if these
So basically they decided that after 9 hours and of course 5 hours of it being asleep that he was ready to go home?

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Please correct  me if I'm wrong - but if dad can say no to any drugs without his/your permission does that mean that you guys still have the right to decide whether he stays or not? And if because of his age you guys have lost that - I think you should start the process to apply for guardianship and FORCE him to get help. This has gone way too far for you guys and it's saddening. :/ I wish you all the best

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Quoting GleekingOut:

Please correct  me if I'm wrong - but if dad can say no to any drugs without his/your permission does that mean that you guys still have the right to decide whether he stays or not? And if because of his age you guys have lost that - I think you should start the process to apply for guardianship and FORCE him to get help. This has gone way too far for you guys and it's saddening. :/ I wish you all the best

I'm not sure if staying will help him. They aren't going to help him with stealing, because he is not stealing everything he is stealing things he WANTS only. That's not a mental disorder. He's not talking about his issues with his mother, he is telling them he's sad when he is in trouble (gets caught), he's angry when he get's caught, and that he yells and screams when he gets caught. He is not really discussing anything else to my knowledge, and to honest with you, I doubt he will. I can see what's going to happen right now. Won't put him on meds (because they haven't diagnosed him with anything) so they will probably just discharge him and want him in therapy which he probably won't go to. He's enjoying himself where he is. He's not having to face the probation officer for theft, he gets to "chill out with his friends" apparently he made some new friends there. Not sure if that's a great idea but who knows. Maybe they have it a lot worse than him and he is realizing it.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Quoting fantasticfour:

Quoting GleekingOut:

I'm not sure if staying will help him. They aren't going to help him with stealing, because he is not stealing everything he is stealing things he WANTS only. That's not a mental disorder. He's not talking about his issues with his mother, he is telling them he's sad when he is in trouble (gets caught), he's angry when he get's caught, and that he yells and screams when he gets caught. He is not really discussing anything else to my knowledge, and to honest with you, I doubt he will. I can see what's going to happen right now. Won't put him on meds (because they haven't diagnosed him with anything) so they will probably just discharge him and want him in therapy which he probably won't go to. He's enjoying himself where he is. He's not having to face the probation officer for theft, he gets to "chill out with his friends" apparently he made some new friends there. Not sure if that's a great idea but who knows. Maybe they have it a lot worse than him and he is realizing it.

Is there a way the probation officer can force him to attend therapy? And nope - definetely a bad idea. I noticed when I had my DD in group therapy for her anxiety disorders, she brought home a few new tricks/habits that she definetely had never had before. But unfortuntely until he comes home you can't be sure whether it's a good idea or not.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Quoting GleekingOut:

Quoting fantasticfour:

Quoting GleekingOut:

Is there a way the probation officer can force him to attend therapy? And nope - definetely a bad idea. I noticed when I had my DD in group therapy for her anxiety disorders, she brought home a few new tricks/habits that she definetely had never had before. But unfortuntely until he comes home you can't be sure whether it's a good idea or not.

I really like the juvenile probation officers. They don't want to lock him up. They want to get him where he won't get locked up. They want him to be able to talk to someone about some issues, but not likely they can FORCE him to talk to someone. They can force him to go, but not talk. So we are going in the morning, I'll update as I know more, thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)